Rear Spring Question - OME BP-51 2721 v 2722 w/ 12.5 LRA Tank, Sliders & RTT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a new Heritage that I am looking forward to building out. At this point, I hope someone with a better real world understanding of these two OME springs can weigh in. Thanks very much in advance.

I am unsure of the best recipe for an OME BP-51 lift. I don't plan to add front or rear bumpers, and I plan to keep the spare mounted on the underside. I intend to add a 12.5 gal LRA tank. Other additions I have planned are Slee LX570 sliders, either a Front Runner or Prinsu Rack, and I am also considering an Alu-Cab RTT. I do not plan on adding any drawers. Post lift installation, I am leaning towards Nitto 305/65/18's.

(Humorous sidetone: my iMac autocorrects 'Prinsu' to 'Prissy'. Glad I caught that. Yikes!)

Poring over technical data is certainly helpful, but real world experience is invaluable. Does anyone have a firm rec based on experience and feel? I am leaning towards the 2721's, possibly with spacers, since the weight of the full tank and other additions do not seem heavy enough to warrant the jump to the linear 2722's. Am I off target?

Last edited:
I don't think the 2721s will be enough, without any gear or passengers you may be level, but loaded you'll sag a lot.

Out of curiosity, why Lexus LX sliders on a Land Cruiser?

I don't have enough experience with the two ome springs you're looking at to help, but when I was working with the guy who helped spec mine out, he seemed most concerned about weight out beyond the axles like bumpers.

Why not talk with whomever you are buying your BP-51s from for advice?

Last edited:
I definitely will have that chat, but I have found the threads on here so helpful thus far, I figured I would ask.

As to the LX570 sliders... I have seen a few photos of other LC's with them and really like the look. Slee has a simple kit to fit them on a 200. Nice and clean.

I started out with the 2721s with just ARB drawers. After I added the Kaymar rear bar and a 24gal LRA tank (thanks to @orangefj45 and @wardharris) I had a lot of sag. I put in the 2722s in and couldn't be happier.

I am running 2723’s on my Heritage. I have 24 gallons LRA, Kaymar rear tire carrier, and Prinsu rack. No drawers but the fuel carrier is usually either full of fuel or recovery equipment. I am pretty happy with the setup and cannot think of any reason for me to desire a spring change.

2261388E-AFAA-454C-9C6D-03E343EC77BB.jpeg
EBC9D03A-2E3D-4C30-B22E-E24D61E8C5D3.jpeg

What you are trying to do with yours is pretty much what I did with mine.

I did a OME 2 inch bp-51 with the 2722 rear springs, SPC UCA, the 2722 give it an additional 3/4 of an inch in height, i did not even consider the 2721 springs.

Here's a picture of how mine turned out with what i listed above

I have 1.25 inch wheel spacers for now until i get wheels in the next year or so, i really like the factory ones in black though.

My tires are 295/65/18 they are right at 33 inches, the spare tire is also 295/65/18 and it does fit just fine in the spare location.
when I first started this build I also was dead set on the 305/65/18 but I ended up choosing the 295's for the reason they are only less than a half in narrower than the 305 but the 295 is a true 33 inch which overall helps with clearance, not much but it does

My in town driving mpg is about 10.9 so i would expect the 305's to be a bit worse

keep us all updated on your build with pictures

1802A7F2-6F01-436D-9FA2-BD58D3808DCA.jpeg

Last edited:
Many thanks for the insight and picture for reference. I like the proportions on your truck a lot.

I’ve been reading about tire size extensively over the past two days, and coincidentally enough, I have been trying my hardest to decide between the 305/65/18 and the 295/65/18. I am not interested in trimming wheel wells etc. (at this point), and I have been seeing mixed opinions on whether or not the 305s have issues. Anyone else want to weight in?

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 2721, but did so feeling good in my ability to swap them easily enough myself and knowing the stiffer springs aren’t too expensive. Plus, I found a full, new BP-51 kit on eBay for $2200, so that helped tip the scales in the 2721’s favor. We’ll see if they are too light.

I’ll do my best to take pictures as I go. Thanks again!

Many thanks for the insight and picture for reference. I like the proportions on your truck a lot.

I’ve been reading about tire size extensively over the past two days, and coincidentally enough, I have been trying my hardest to decide between the 305/65/18 and the 295/65/18. I am not interested in trimming wheel wells etc. (at this point), and I have been seeing mixed opinions on whether or not the 305s have issues. Anyone else want to weight in?

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the 2721, but did so feeling good in my ability to swap them easily enough myself and knowing the stiffer springs aren’t too expensive. Plus, I found a full, new BP-51 kit on eBay for $2200, so that helped tip the scales in the 2721’s favor. We’ll see if they are too light.

I’ll do my best to take pictures as I go. Thanks again!
So just my 2 cents here and only my opinion, I think the 2721 are not going to be enough.

Right now I have a bit more than 3/8 inch rake but you can hardly tell by the picture. the other day I went to Lowes and got 200 pounds or so of decorative gravel and some other crap, prob 350 pound or so and I was pretty much level due to the fact the 2722 are stiffer springs, If I had the 2721's in the rear, it would sag a good bit and keep in mind the 2722 add an additional 3/4 of an inch, it is in my opinion that having a bit of rake is a good thing, and as for your thought on it being to stiff with the 2722's in the rear, well you can offset that by playing with the compression and rebound on the shock settings.

My truck drives like a dream with my set-up and the 2722's

Also, keep in mind I have the SPC upper control arms. a lot of people say you don't need them but not having them will put you at the very upper limits of having a great alignment

My 295/65/18's did rub when hard over in reverse I was able to to undo the bolts holding inner mud flaps and pushing the flaps forward, drilling a few new holes and resecuring them, no cuuting was involved but I would imagine the 305 will rub as well due to the width.

I'm not sure what the offsets of your wheels are so take that into consideration as well, I had to use 1.25 inch wheel spacers

If you have not seen all the videos that Eric at Ed Martin Toyota has done has done , I would highly recommend you watching them, it is a wealth of exreamely useful information.

FBF98B0B-C8B1-47BE-920B-529037CADE3A.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree with you on those videos. So helpful! I have ordered the SPC UCAs and likely the same Spidertrax spacers. You definitely have me questioning the 2721s now. Hmm...

I agree with you on those videos. So helpful! I have ordered the SPC UCAs and likely the same Spidertrax spacers. You definitely have me questioning the 2721s now. Hmm...

Well, 2 other members above also brought it to your attention as well, I was there the entire time while my lift was being installed, it is not a piece of cake to put the rear springs in.

I might also mention that you should triple check with your installer that he is familiar with the KDSS system on the " Land Cruiser " it is not like the 4runner and most installers assume it is.

I would also let you know that if you install them right out of the box, you will have a TON of rake, the front coil overs need to be preset before install.

I tried to explain that to my installer on 3 different occasions but he said he had it under control LOL, when he put it down on the ground for the first time it looked like a stink bug. I said I tried to explain this to you several times in the emails and through phone conversations.

***** Maybe the rake wouldn't have been so extreme if I only had the 2721 rear springs.

He tried to adjust the preset while it was on the ground and i had to stop him and say HEY They dont work like that !!!!!!!

He then had to remove both front coilovers adjust accordingly

He was pissed at himself for not listening to me

Sorry for the long rant but I'm just trying to help you avoid issues I had

I appreciate it. That stink bug comment made me laugh.

Fortunately, my installer is a friend and does seriously impressive work. Lucky to have him to help with the technical stuff and heavy lifting. You’re right about the KDSS. It is new territory for me, but I do have experience putting lifts on myself. I’ll definitely proceed with caution. Duly noted.

By the by, this is the IH8MUD post that led me to think the 2721s will work out well:
OME Spring Breakdown by @Taco2Cruiser

Like the others have mentioned, 2721 springs will not be enough. I have them and like them when I’m lightly loaded, but wish I’d gone fir 2722.

As fate would have it, I got an email that the 2721's are not actually available from the shop where I ordered them. I took the opportunity to pivot, and I have ordered 2722's.

Aside from all the various advice...

-Be encouraged that rear coil springs are far and away the least fiddly suspension components to swap out later should you find them not to your liking. No alignment, or other tweaks necessary. So...as you “decide” here, rest assured it’s very quick and easy to swap others in....and also easy to sell the outgoing set.

As fate would have it, I got an email that the 2721's are not actually available from the shop where I ordered them. I took the opportunity to pivot, and I have ordered 2722's.
So, how did it turn out? Are you happy with your 2722's?

Does the OP have an update on the BP-51 install and coil springs?

I am considering a set up similar to yours and am curious about how you like the 2722's.

I have 2721 without an extra tank and the 2721 are boardering on too soft. I would prefer 2722, so I would recommend at least the 2722, maybe the next stiffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom