rear spring over? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am in the extremely slow process of soaing my 74 fj40. i was in the garage this weekend and i noticed that you can take the third member out flip the housing 180' and put the third member back in and it will bolt up the same way as if you had welded on new perches. i know there are a few things i need to do other than just new perches(shock mounts, pinion angle etc.) but my question is if i fab up a anti-wrap bar should i be alright with the stock perches and the stock drive train?

well if you put it in the way it came out you will be going backward, or if you are saying what I think you are, you will need to cut away from the inside of the housing to clear the ring gear. Some people have done this to end up with a close to centered output rear end. IMO not worth the hassle, you will end up cutting perches off anyway to set proper pinion angle. Perches are about the easiest things to deal with compared to need to reroute all your break lines and everything else to boot. Keep it simple stupid (KISS)

Your diff is not centered, so instead of being on the passenger side, it would be on the driver side. :confused:

Just cut the perches off and weld some new ones on.

Naw, that's what I thought. I think he is talking about just rotating it in position.
The third bolts where the cover went and vice versa. I imagine, like you said, the perches will need to be redone to get the right pinion angle. Whe I first read it I thought he meant a side-for-side rotation which would put the third on the driver's side, and I thought whoa!

Ed

Degnol said:
Naw, that's what I thought. I think he is talking about just rotating it in position.
The third bolts where the cover went and vice versa. I imagine, like you said, the perches will need to be redone to get the right pinion angle. Whe I first read it I thought he meant a side-for-side rotation which would put the third on the driver's side, and I thought whoa!

Ed

It made sense when you used the word rotate rather than flip. :whoops:

yeah, I think he means "spinning" it so that the pumpkin is still on the PS and the spring mounts are on the top of the axle.

Vent tube would need to be relocated and the spring perches would still probably need to be moved.

Honestly, it would be easier to get a set of dodge spring perches, weld them on, and call it good.

As for a track Bar. Either buy one or build one. Either way you will need one.

Back to what he was/is proposing, is the bolt pattern symmetrical? Like can you bolt the third and cover on upside down?

Ed

Degnol said:
Back to what he was/is proposing, is the bolt pattern symmetrical? Like can you bolt the third and cover on upside down?

Ed

Yes

thanks for the input i think ill just weld some perches on i was just wondering what eveyone thoght

thanks
david

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom