Rear spring mount rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know the news on this is going to suck....I have a rust free '79 fj40 except above the rear spring mounts. The main frame rails are not rusted inside or outside other than surface stuff. The cross pieces going from the frame rail to the rear member are rust free as well. The problem as shown in the pics is the piece sandwiched between the frame rail and the spring mount itself. It looks like it is delaminating or something. cant be good. The rivits seem solid and it drives fine....but...what do you guys think?? What would you do other than scrap the whole truck. ??? I can just see the mount kinda falling off somewhere out in the boonies...no thanks! So...is it an easy fix or am i SOL??

Thanks!

Got any pics???

wow it worked...here is another. the frame seems fine...but the piece under it is not so good.

Looks like it worked fine....

What are your intentions for the vehicle?

If you are going to wheel the piss out of it, then this area is going to see A LOT of stress, and will probably fail on you someday....

If you do not see yourself running large tires(over 35's), and using your truck well beyond the desigend intentions, like some do, then you will probably be able to run this for a while...

Being in MN does have it's limitations on judgement of this however...

Bottom line,

If YOU do not think that it is safe, FIX IT, and make it safe.

Good luck!

-Steve

The truck is in retirement. Nothing harder than paved roads and drives up logging roads. No hard core wheeling...a few ruts here and there but nothing close to hard core...she is a purty garage queen now. This is my first cruiser so I am learning the ropes. Would a typical 4x4 shop be able to fix something like this? If not..who would you think might be able to?? It feels really solid but I am all about keeping things fixed right. I appreciate your input!! Any more suggestions are totally welcome.
thanks again

In order to replace that piece, the rivets will need to be removed, and a new piece installed. I am pretty sure that they have been discontinued by Toyota, so you will have to have a new piece made, or find something used in decent shape.

A welding shop could tie the frame to the outer part of that piece, but I would just watch it, being that you do not pound the truck...

Try to find someone with the pieces, and get them, so that if it lets go someday, you will not have to worry about finding them...

Good luck!

-Steve

thanks Steve, I really appreaciate your input. I will keep an eye on it and see how it goes this summer. Dont drive it much in the winter cuz I cant find a hard top anywhere...I will keep an eye open for the parts to keep on hand.

thanks again!

chisel some of that rotten metal away and hit it with a coat of paint for now. dam that road salt!! ;)

Cruiser Solutions sell what you need. No big deal to replace!

Cruiser Solutions has replacements, listed as Rear Leaf Spring Gussets. I'm installing one of their replacement rear crossmembers right now. Quality stuff. Replacement is not difficult, just a pain grinding off/knocking out the old rivets. If you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself, you can certainly have a local shop do the replacement for you. While you're in there, remove the rest of the rust and treat it to prevent further corrosion.

HTH. Good Luck.
Todd Bull.

Thanks to all for the info! makes me feel much better. I see the parts Cruiser Solutions have. I do have a question...the stock rivets need to be knocked out. Rivets dont need to be put back in do they? I would think high grade bolts should work just fine....any thoughts?

haha...looks that way doesn't it. I have been over the entire frame and tub...I cleaned and painted it. the rear hangers are the only bad place. the frame has some s***ty thick assed coating of some kind so it looks pitted. Anyway...thanks for the advise I thought bolts would do the trick.

I just replaced one of those on my 74... Ill tell ya it sucked. It took forever to get it off. I was trying to save the mount that the shackle bolts to though. I used three methods 1. a torch 2. an air chisel 3. chisle an hammer. The new piece i cut out of 1/4 inch plate. I drilled and bolted it on for now and once i put my lift on I will weld the shackle hanger onto it. I would replace it now b4 it turns to swiss cheese like mine did. Good luck :D

Just needs M10 bolts in place of the rivets. There is also a bit of welding required where the spring hanger runs across the bottom of the rear channel. Pretty simple repair. Hardest part is getting out the rivets. I ground/cut mine off, but an air chisel might work better (certainly easier to get inside the spring hanger).

Good Luck.
Todd Bull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom