Rear spring hanger & mounting location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gus

SILVER Star
Threads
The previous owner of my Feb 79 FJ40 had replaced the stock rear crossmember with something of his own "design", when he did this he drilled new holes in the frame to bolt up the spring hangers (the ones that the shackles mount to). I have since replaced the PO's rear crossmember with a stock one, but left the spring hangers the way he altered them with the intent on fixing them at some point in the future. Well the future is now, presetly I have the rear crossmember and spring hangers removed from the frame in an effort to fix the PO's half a$$ed modifications and return it to as close to stock as possible. I bolted the new spring hangers (used OEM ones) to what I beleive are stock mounting holes in the frame(the rivets have been removed) but upon measuring the location of each hanger on the frame rail, I found that the drivers side hanger is about .25" farther back along the frame than the passenger side hanger: I have a hell of a hard time beleiving the cruiser left the factory like this, am I wrong or what? Does anyone out there have the measurements (or pics of) as to where the spring hangers are located on the frame rails: i.e. distance from the end of the frame rail to the rear edge of the spring hanger, distance between driver's and passenger's side hangers (mearsured from from the inboard side of the hanger). Thanks in advance.
- Gus

Come on, someone has to have something to contribute on this ???

Pretty sure mine are still in the stock location. I haven't ever changed them.

From rear edge of frame rail to center of top shackle pin: 5.5"

Distance between shackle hangers: 36.25"

Mine are not different from driver to passenger side.

I have a rear channel with the "shackle" hangars still attached from my 2/79 FJ40 leaning up against the wall in the garage...I'll put the steel ruler on it tomorrow morning (East Coast time), and let you know what it is!

Before the new mods, mine had a space of 42.5" from center of front pin and center of top shackle bolt. Here is a pic of the pre-mod location. Can't get you a messurement of top shackle to rear edge anymore.

Chris

Gus,

The measure I have is 5.75" from rear (exterior) channel to center of the "eye" where the pin would go. That's measured on a horizontal plane and dropping a vertical line to the center of the "eye." The distance between the cylinders, inside edges, is 35.5"
This is off a stock 2/79 rear channel with the gussets and the hangers still riveted in place. HTH!

Cheers,

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom