Rear Slider Blues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got some after market rear sliders for my FJ60 and the fit sucks. I got them from a Canadian distributor who got them from SOR. The pinch weld is exposed around the whole window and it looks like ass. Does anyone know of a source or remedy to get a gasket or modify the stock gasket?
If all else fails I may send them back and......did someone mention a group buy!!!!! :eek:

Also, how do I get a cool picture into my user CP??????

Steve O at Man a Fre was coordinating the purchase but the deadline was last month. If he gets any extras, maybe he can get you in on the deal...good luck.

SOR sliders did NOT work in my Cruiser. No matter how I turned them of flipped them there was a gap that I could see through between the pinch weld and the window frame. SOR assured me that they fit and that I didn't know how to install them. I took them to my buddy who used to work at SOR and does my Cruiser work and there was no way they would fill the hole. I got my money back from SOR but lost shipping both ways. After that I decided not to ever mess with my rear windows again. 82-SOA-60 got in the group by from Steve-O so I will see how his turn out before considering it again.

How about some pix? I'ts possible a competent auto glass shop could work a solution.

I think the problem lies in the mounting. You can't use the OEM gasket again. You have to use a special butyl rubber gasket.

Thanks for all of your replies.
This was my first post on IH8MUD and it's impressiva to read all the topics.
Can someone tell me how to insert images??????
I don't know if it is an issue that I'm running a MAC but I can't drag and drop and when I chose insert image a window pops uip that asks me to format text.
I know, I know........SUCH a looooser. :doh:

You guys don't even want to know how long it took me to figure out that we weren't talking about rock sliders. :eek:

I was thinking to myself, "what in the hell is a glass shop going to do about his sliders not fitting correctly?" Then it dawned on me..... Lesson as usual, I am a jacka$$.

not butyl

im not sure if the "butyl" rubber is whats suggested. Tinker is the one to talk to. hes where "polarweasel" and i are taking ours, after we gettem blasted/powdered. he seems to be the man when it comes to glass stuff. -sean

tcb said:
You guys don't even want to know how long it took me to figure out that we weren't talking about rock sliders. :eek:

I was thinking to myself, "what in the hell is a glass shop going to do about his sliders not fitting correctly?" Then it dawned on me..... Lesson as usual, I am a jacka$$.

lol, hehehehehe, im glad to know im not the only jacka$$ who thought the same. if i werent already in on the order from Steve-O, i would still be confused.

Tinker said:
How about some pix? I'ts possible a competent auto glass shop could work a solution.

Tinker,
Word on the street is that you the man with glass. Can you tell me how to put images in this site?????? Or can I email them to you?
Please let me know.

mlwilliams7@msn.com

I was talking about the AFTER MARKET sliders that SOR sells. The have their own mounitng system and do not need any additional rubber. You remove your stock window and rubber and these have a "ring" that screws down all the way around your window and seals them up. The windows are tinted and have screens too. I really liked the idea until they left a hole I could stick my finger through in the corner of window opening. These are completely different than the OEM sliders from overseas.
Slider Window.jpg

Ahh... the aftermarket ones... those have a reputation for leaking and being a pain in the ass to fit. I hear you need beat the body of the cruiser with a BFH for a while to get it the right shape for the windows, and then seal 'em up like crazy and hope they don't leak.

Oh, and don't seal the holes in the bottom of the window frame. Those are drain holes. Kinda important little dudes. :D

chud thunderson said:
Tinker,
Word on the street is that you the man with glass. Can you tell me how to put images in this site?????? Or can I email them to you?
Please let me know.

mlwilliams7@msn.com

Chud,

I was wondering about image posting (and the little one next to your name, called your avatar), and the answer seems to be "hang in there". You have to rack up 20-30 posts before you're allowed. And chit-chat stuff doesn't count. Seems silly, but it eats up server resources--you're kind of on probation till you've been around a while.

welcome to mud--sorry the windows suck!

flowman said:
Chud,

I was wondering about image posting

or buy a red star!

tcb said:

I thought the same thing for a while...u r not alone!!!!!!

polarweasel said:
Ahh... the aftermarket ones... those have a reputation for leaking and being a pain in the ass to fit. I hear you need beat the body of the cruiser with a BFH for a while to get it the right shape for the windows, and then seal 'em up like crazy and hope they don't leak.

Oh, and don't seal the holes in the bottom of the window frame. Those are drain holes. Kinda important little dudes. :D

I put those windows in my 60 (and in my 40.) Getting them in is a major project. BFH was not enough to straighten the curved pinch weld. I ended up using a couple of industrial size vise grips and crescent wrenches. But, it DID work OK once I got the flanges straight. I've had them in a few years now, and no leaks. I'm happy with them now but would not recommend them unless you really need them. (My dogs love 'em.)
The windows on the 40 were a piece of cake. Great fit, no problems and I had both of them in in about an hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom