Rear side sliding window help ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pistonpete

SILVER Star
Threads
Does anybody know what, where,etc about these windows and why is the fit so bad.

IMG_0666.JPG

Those are flat panel sliders from Spectre Off Road. I unfortunately bought a set once.
They are in a shed buried now. They don’t fit cause they aren’t curved. So the window
gasket doesn’t work well. I think the only way to get them to not leak would be a
substantial use of urethane windshield sealant. I went back to factory glass.

Why would someone sell a product advertised to fit , and then it doesn’t is beyond me..

Mine have been on the truck for many years. Finally got them to seal using fat foam weatherstrip. Now however, they have corroded to the point that they are almost impossible to open. I recently discovered that the OEM Toyota gaskets are still available, so the original glass is going back in.

Thanks guys, I was hoping maybe a whether strip of some sort was missing ? Funny how the window is far off the size of the hole it goes in .
we might build a stainless template to size it in there better ??

I have the updated ones in my '89 FJ and they work well. they are great for camping but sadly I recently discovered that they leak a little.

I'm still happy with the sliders though.

Could you please post some close up pic's ?? :)

Thanks man, those are nice with the seal. I will see what we can come up with...

No problem. Like I said, they are awesome for camping, but I'd recommend a little extra sealant. I ended up buying these because when I lived in Flagstaff some kid broke my window by accident and I figured I'd upgrade. At $500 bucks they weren't cheap, but I'm glad I did it.

I have the updated ones in my '89 FJ and they work well. they are great for camping but sadly I recently discovered that they leak a little.

I'm still happy with the sliders though.

Could you explain where they leak if possible? Have always wanted some of these and was hoping the redesign would be the answer.

It looks like they sit in the window frame a little better, more tight, with the original window seal. Really thinking about a purchase as soon as I save up some more $$$

Could you explain where they leak if possible? Have always wanted some of these and was hoping the redesign would be the answer.

It's hard to tell but I believe it's coming from the middle of the upper seal. I reused my original factory window seals which aren't torn or anything. However, due to the age and the nature of these being aftermarket windows, there may not be a totally perfect seal. Some day I may take them out and add some silicone or something for piece of mind.

@Saucerman they were a great buy. The only better option would be a swing-out type window, but that's big money if you're on a budget.

My sliders always leak. Luckily I am in CA so I can deal with it, but every time it rains I get water in the back. The water seems to get between the windows and fill up the little "channel" that is on the seal. When you move the truck it all sloshes out. I have not figured out how to remediate it. They look the same as @zachmartin529 above. I got mine from Mudrak years ago. Excuse the dirt - I was in Joshua Tree wheeling last weekend :cool:

sliding windows.jpg

My sliders always leak. Luckily I am in CA so I can deal with it, but every time it rains I get water in the back. The water seems to get between the windows and fill up the little "channel" that is on the seal. When you move the truck it all sloshes out. I have not figured out how to remediate it. They look the same as @zachmartin529 above. I got mine from Mudrak years ago. Excuse the dirt - I was in Joshua Tree wheeling last weekend :cool:

View attachment 2322369

If those are the C.R. Lawrence ones, then they are the same as mine. I bought mine from SOR about 4 years ago and they seem to have started leaking recently. At the time I lived in Flagstaff and with snow and rain up there, they never seemed to leak. Then about 3 weeks ago in Orange County, Ca. it rained and they leaked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom