Rear side emblem install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I got a set of new rear emblems to install. I have tried to get the plastic clips off with no luck. I have also tried to just push them through with the idea that they would pop through and expand in the inside. So how the hell do you get these things on?

BB459B96-0A27-4DF1-8355-214CABB63300.jpeg

I just put new ones on both sides. I was able to line them up and a gentle push snapped them in place, with the black pieces on the pins. Did you remove the old black plugs? It should be painted metal only around each hole. A PO may have painted old black plugs so they look like they belong. If the 'hole' has a raised ring around it, that is the old black plug.

No the old plugs are gone. I just had it painted and am putting stripe decals on it. The holes are clear. I guess I need to push them through and maybe pull from the other side a bit.

D9EC1050-30AB-435C-9380-64C6D7CC256C.jpeg

Holes are there. The decal is covering them in that pic. The pins just dont push all the way through to let the fasteners click into place. Actually the painters put the old emblems back on with what looks like gray double sided tape. Maybe the 3M stuff? Anyways I had to pull the old emblems off and clean the tape off to put the decals on. Might end up using the 3M stuff. Thanks for the tip!

Try silicone grease on the pips to lube them on their way in. The new paint may have made the holes a smaller diameter, so you might take a small rattail file and clean out the holes in the fender to enlarge them. If all that is too much hassle, 3M trim tape will work just fine (but won't let the emblems hug the body as closely as the pips).

Last edited:
may even be the thickness of the decal going into the hole that is keeping the black pips from snapping into place and you just need to file the decal out of the hole. You will hear/feel a snap as they lock in. Same design on the 4WD emblem on the tailgate. Be careful on pulling them thru, the black plastic actually creates a water resistant seal when it snaps in place.

Of course it is on youtube. Everything is on there. I am guessing like someone said above the new paint or the thickness of the decal or both is preventing the snapping. Right now one is wedged in there but only one of the 4 plugs snapped. So that one is kind of stuck there. The other side is getting taped like Trail Tailor recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom