Rear shocks and springs for HJ61 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone.

I've been searching for new shocks for quite a while. None of the local shops have any listing for my any Landcruisers let alone 60 series.

The only landcruiser that is listed is with a 2.4 litre which I'm thinking would not be close to the HJ61 in weight

Even the toyota dealership no longer lists anything but a 2.4 litre which is weird because we had the 60 here in Canada - I had one myself!!

My shocks are Rancho but I can't find any numbers; they are so rusty.

I found OME in Edmonton but they are pretty pricey.

The truck has 2" of lift and the front has a winch and bull bar so I assume that I'd want to go with a heavy shock in the front and maybe a medium weight in the back?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

thanks, Tim

just checking EBay
Think this link shows a rear shock with 192 applications. Your model is in the line up.
I take it you called 4Wheel Auto in Edmonton? Yes you may have to pay but excellent service. had them swap my old nasty Rancho's for some smooth OME gas shocks furing my ride to Alaska with the BJ70 and what a difference.

Try using the term cross reference with your part numbers, sometimes you get a lucky break.
BTW I'm in Sudbury

Thanks to both of you. That's interesting about the 80 series crossover. Unfortuanately, I dont' think that 80 series were sold in Canada at all, so, there are no listings in this country for 80 shocks either. Getting stuff across the border from the US. is more expensive than from across the ocean, go figure, due to the fees incurred at the border. I order stuff from the UK over the US because it's way cheaper, even with the frieght!

Question: I thought that my rear springs were done because even without any weight, my rear hits going over bumps. I took it to a garage and went for a ride with a mechanic. Not sure if he just didn't know anything but he coudn't figure out if there was a problem with the springs.

My rear definately sags and the back shocks have both been leaking. Can I assume that I should replace the springs and shocks?

I haven't rulled out using OME from 4wheel auto and I'm sure that they would be very sweet. I just am not that flushed with cash and would like to get away with a little less monitary output.

Another question

Can I assume that the 4.2 litre gas is the same? There are very few listings for any diesels.

Squash, the shock you mentioned doesn't seem to be compatible with mine. The closest match is 87 HJ60. It's weird that the the engine size says 4.2 because the diesel has always been 4.0. It's the gas that was available in 4.2.

Looks like over the years, people who don't know the vehicles transfer data and make mistakes. In the last 5 years, all of the automotive parts suppliers here don't list my vehicle anymore, it's as if they never existed. So sad! Don't even get me started about Toyota who only lists a 2.4 diesel, that actually was never available here as far as I know, so, they can't even look up anything! Very frustrating.........."we service what we sell"????? The HJ and the BJ have been forgotten1

There are dozens of online places selling shocks for all landcruisers. There is plenty on Canadian ebay with free or cheap shipping from $170 to $700.
Toyota dont stock parts for 30+ year old vehicles unless its still used on new models. Most dealers are the same.

All 6* series can use the same shock and spring, although the diesels tend to have heavier duty suspension.
Which shock you need can be worked out by fully extending and full compressing your shock absorber and measuring both dimensions.

Thanks for the info roscoFJ73

Any "free shipping" claims on North American adds do not apply in Canada - only for the U.S.

Not only is there the exchange, there is also duty and extra handling fees on top of that that other countries don't charge which is why ordering from another continent is cheaper.

I'll keep searching until I find something in Canada.

Thanks, all

Checked ebay.ca no shocks listed in Canada, also not one shock for 60 series with 2 inch lift even from the US.

Someone here must know something because I know that I'm not the only 60 left in Canada.

Thanks for any help

Tim

Hi Tim,
KYB oe replacement 344015
KYB monotube KG4026
for 86 HJ60

Checked ebay.ca no shocks listed in Canada, also not one shock for 60 series with 2 inch lift even from the US

Obviously, but with free or cheap shipping , who cares? Buy a Ford if you want easy to get parts. Most shocks will allow for a 2 inch lift.

Hi Tim,
KYB oe replacement 344015
KYB monotube KG4026
for 86 HJ60

Thanks simonliew, very much appreciated. That saves me freight, duty and brokerage fees which would have cost more than twice the price of the shocks themselves!

Side note: was born in Winnipeg but was moved to Ontario in the 60's

Do you have any recommendations for rear spring replacement with 2"lift?

Thanks again, Tim

Hi Tim,
i just bought a HJ61 back from my customer,i sold to him 8 yrs ago and just installed old man emu on the truck.
i had a couple of used front old man emu springs sitting here so i ordered read OME springs and shocks from 4wheel auto in edmonton,they are not cheap,even when i was an OME dealer few yrs ago getting them from ARB USA with shipping exchange and broker fees they are not cheap either,i am no longer an ARB dealer because i didnt make the annual $10,000 sales 2 yrs ago.

i dunno how big is north bay,do u know a DR donald funk?

Sorry, just saw your response - must have my notifications off.

North Bay's around 50k, so, no, I haven't heard of Dr. Donald Funk. I only know a few people here, mostly deer squirrels and Foxes, where I live in the woods.

Not sure what I'm going to do about shocks. I just found out that my insurance company is dropping my RHD insurance on the Toyota and my 1990 Pajero, so, as of next month I have no vehicles to drive. i don't have a LHD vehicle and I don't have money to buy one. Thanks INTACT! For royally screwing me after 38 years with a perfect record.

Maybe I should try selling them in Manitoba, but, I'm about 14 hours from the border.

sorry to hear that
isnt there other options for auto insurance in ontario?

Yeah, there is a high risk company that will insure anyone. Mine would be 2.5 times higher for just one vehilce for what I'm paying now to have both vehicles insured. All other companies have filed no RHD vehicle clauses with the insurance regulator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom