Rear shock guards/skids/protectors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kabanstva

SILVER Star
Threads
Does anybody know of anything available for the 100 series in terms of rear shock protectors? I saw that Jason @ Trail Tailor has a set available for the 200 (I was bugging him on Instagram about it haha). Also noticed there are a ton of options for 4Runners/FJ's, etc., but nothing for 100's? Why is that?

Would love to throw something on there.

I'm attaching a few pics of what I am talking about. Something like the blue colored protectors (FJ Cruiser) would be ideal since they protect the bolt head and act as a skid.

Trying to stay away from the Icon shock protectors because they only have one attachment point and people have said they can rotate and cause damage when hitting something (not good obviously).

King Skid_30.jpg

King Skid Installed_30.jpg

14 shock guard.jpg

IMG_3326.jpg

DSC_0279_large.JPG

OME makes some stone guards that clamp on to their shocks to protect the body. I tried them, though they did not prove to be an adequate solution for my use. The lower portion that covers the bolt was constantly getting bent against the bolt and made rattling noises. I ended up cutting off the lower part to get better access to the bolt, then I made a stronger washer that wouldn't bend as easily. I have still slightly bent the stronger washers, but they have held up better than the OE type. I have also had rocks dent the stone guards and the shocks, but the shock still works and its likely much less damage than would have occurred if I didn't have the stone guards on. Stuff down there can take a lot of abuse from rocks and debris, the larger the item, the more likely it is to make contact as well.

You can see my results from my build thread referenced below.

Builds - 2001 LX470 build LEGUSY

post #33

Builds - 2001 LX470 build LEGUSY

post #305

I just don’t see those OME stone guards doing anything if they actually smash some rocks. Does not seem nearly beefy enough for that. At best I can see them prevent pitting and rock chips.

I just don’t see those OME stone guards doing anything if they actually smash some rocks. Does not seem nearly beefy enough for that. At best I can see them prevent pitting and rock chips.

That's all they are for. I have bent up the bottom part on these now.

Yeah, I'm waiting for Jason to release a set for the 100 too. lol.

Ive scrubbed up my lower shock mounts and would like to have a solution- but not sure this is a good option- looks like it would get snagged-

upload_2019-2-2_19-58-22.jpeg

But I do like TrailTailors 200 design in the second photo

@TRAIL TAILOR #patientlywaiting

Yeah it would be nice if we had a big enough group of interested members for Trail Tailor to have motivation to make these.

Im sure Jason has more profitable ventures at the moment but there is demand for these.

Im sure Jason has more profitable ventures at the moment but there is demand for these.

I'm always looking for the littler parts to fabricate. Me and heavy things aren't getting along. I have two dislocated ribs at the moment and the doctor said not to lift anything over 10# for the next 12-14 weeks..... YEAH OK.... my backpack weight 22#

I'm just getting old.

I looked at the 100 shock guard and even posted it up and no takers. The biggest issue with the 100 series is the clearance from the shock to sway bar. It has a little space with a stock shock or most other common shock offerings, but the larger diameter shocks are really tight, especially if the guys don't extend the rear links after a lift. I'll play with it since I have the 45mm big bore adjustables on my 100 now and see what can be done.

I have a bolt on guard/shield idea that takes the sway bar into consideration. Picture my 200 guard with the inside trimmed to clearance the sway bar.

J

Jason put me down for two sets! Always a good idea to have spares for something’s that might get damaged!

I'm always looking for the littler parts to fabricate. Me and heavy things aren't getting along. I have two dislocated ribs at the moment and the doctor said not to lift anything over 10# for the next 12-14 weeks..... YEAH OK.... my backpack weight 22#

I'm just getting old.

I looked at the 100 shock guard and even posted it up and no takers. The biggest issue with the 100 series is the clearance from the shock to sway bar. It has a little space with a stock shock or most other common shock offerings, but the larger diameter shocks are really tight, especially if the guys don't extend the rear links after a lift. I'll play with it since I have the 45mm big bore adjustables on my 100 now and see what can be done.

I have a bolt on guard/shield idea that takes the sway bar into consideration. Picture my 200 guard with the inside trimmed to clearance the sway bar.

J

Sorry to hear about the ribs- thats no fun.

I know what you mean about the fat shocks and clearance to the swaybar, and I have your extended links.

Keep us in mind if you have time. Im down for a set when your ready.

Sorry to hear about the ribs- thats no fun. I know what you mean about the fat shocks and clearance to the swaybar, and I have your extended links. Keep us in mind if you have time. Im down for a set when your ready.

Sneezing is the worst, just makes me find a different avenue to keep myself busy.

Here is a 100 rear at 100% full free hang. The upper arrow is not so much a concern with the shock interference. The lower arrow is where the relief needs to be cut in for clearance. The good thing is the sway bar actually protects the inner side of the shock in most positions. But the front out outer is vulnerable to rocks, rock debris etc.

I emailed @Kabanstva to give him an idea of what my original design/sketch was, but here it is for all to see. It is very similar to the 200 design. This of course is the right side.

J

upload_2019-2-2_20-1-56.png

upload_2019-2-2_20-1-42.png

I ran these for 2-3 years on my 4Runner and they are awesome. Taking them off yesterday they only thing that I didn't like is the soft collar which protects the bolt needed to be dremeled to free the bolt. I also lost a rear shock bolt after a hard weekend wheeling and this skid was strong enough to carry the weight of the shock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom