Rear shock guard/ skid?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Searching only resulted in a past vender her no longer making them and more a bash guard. Any ideas for the 80? Maybe even some protection for the shaft since most reservoir shocks come body up now? Going tot he Dobinson MRR and looking things over I see one existing shock mount is beat up pretty good, the other is loose(below) but also peppered up to about axle height. Of course take a picture and see a rock stuck between the shock tower and rotor dust shield....
a lot of talented vendors here, anyone considering??? Seem to be a few for the 200 and 100, no 80?
IMG_1662[1].JPG

Geez, that was an easy find lol. This was similar to the only type I could find but thinking something with a bit of a shaft guard as well. I would consider these though.
@TRAIL TAILOR seems to make they for the 200, maybe the 100?
1620674570594.png

@eimkeith makes a lower link mount skid. Maybe he has a shock mount skid in the works too? After buying his well designed, beefy products, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy from him again. Maybe he’ll chime in here?

83DA3B40-E15E-4263-BE6D-E9FEFBAA5956.jpeg

I make a reinforcement for the shock mount on the 120 series axle (because they bend with rock impacts) but have never looked at protecting the shock from cosmetic damage... Is there a structural failure mode that I'm missing here? (If so, I'm on it)

I make a reinforcement for the shock mount on the 120 series axle (because they bend with rock impacts) but have never looked at protecting the shock from cosmetic damage... Is there a structural failure mode that I'm missing here? (If so, I'm on it)
I'm far from a rock crawler but what I have done some damaged resulted in the driver side. The mounts are just really exposed, the shaft protection coming on my Dobinson's or even guys with Icon shocks would be a huge bonus. @ $550 a pop its time to start thinking some sort of protection and piece of mind.

IMG_1667.JPG

Like this?

I installed these several years ago but be aware they act as damage multipliers. There will now be a lot of additional leverage applied against that single bolt. They worked, but the mounting pin started to tweak and bend. They need to be larger with an upper attachment point to provide any sort of defense against rocks.

15173291952_d439af7214_h.jpg

You're better off raising the shock mount using a universal bracket IMO. Turn the shock mount sideways. Makes it easier to mount, protects the shock a bit, raises it away from the rocks and get better use of your shock's travel length.

35228550015_2b14eeda24_h.jpg

I installed these several years ago but be aware they act as damage multipliers. There will now be a lot of additional leverage applied against that single bolt. They worked, but the mounting pin started to tweak and bend. They need to be larger with an upper attachment point to provide any sort of defense against rocks.

You're better off raising the shock mount using a universal bracket IMO. Turn the shock mount sideways. Makes it easier to mount, protects the shock a bit, raises it away from the rocks and get better use of your shock's travel length.

35228550015_2b14eeda24_h.jpg
I’m just doing this🤷🏽‍♀️. You may lose up travel, but you get more droop. Soooooo yeah. It’ll make me look cool on Instagram

For the past couple years, maybe more, I’ve been running the shock protectors that are like the Man A Fre protectors that were made briefly by a Mud member. They are thicker with more weld than those from Man A Fre. They have worked well.

I think they are made from 1.75 tubing and then the center piece is drilled for the shock bolt and welded in. Would be simple to make.

What happened to "rubbing is racing" ? battle scars are cool. :meh:
Having a motocross background I know the issues a pitted shaft on forks will cause so just overthinking it I suppose. My mount getting dinged up without extreme off-roading says something. I may just do the dust boot on the rear as much as I hate them and consider the Man A Fre style guard. Just find it strange there are protection options on the 100 and 200 and nothing for the 80. The mount is just as low on these 80's. Maybe the 80 guys don't do the remote reservoir shocks as often so not so concerned and stick to the bash guard?

I'm far from a rock crawler but what I have done some damaged resulted in the driver side. The mounts are just really exposed, the shaft protection coming on my Dobinson's or even guys with Icon shocks would be a huge bonus. @ $550 a pop its time to start thinking some sort of protection and piece of mind.

View attachment 2670804

Ok, I see what you're referring to. That single-shear stud down low could definitely benefit from some brainstorming; I'll see what I can come up with.

Ok, I see what you're referring to. That single-shear stud down low could definitely benefit from some brainstorming; I'll see what I can come up with.
I'm a bit off here on mounting up the rear waiting on the steering box and all 4 springs, no ETA as of yet. I can provide some detail on the MRR mount though. In post #1 you can see the OME shock body slightly tapers outside the mount to the upper right as it goes up and I assume this gets further out as the suspension extends, I would be more interested in the MRR shock here though if you can manage something. I would assume the shaft would be a little more within the axle mount as it extends up if that makes sense. Below are both measurements. Knowing your work I would be happy to help with compression fitment and trial. Any way to provide a little shaft protection included in the mount would be nice, that or an option to possibly have some sort of mounting for an aluminum guard to extend up a bit.
I can also double check the measurements as I ran out to do a quick check. As you can see the MRR is slightly larger than the old OME. Not sure about ICON.

IMG_1672.JPG

IMG_1671.JPG

I had shock guards from Icon on my 4runner and they caused more damage than they saved. bent into the shock on a rock then contacted the body on compression. wouldnt touch them again. I think a sleeve would be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom