Rear shackles backwards? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ca./S.C. Now living in the Philippines Moving back
Hey guys and gals, Flip my rear shackles around because they appeared to be on upside down and backwards from the po's installation. Anti-inversions and I am guessing that the triangle point goe toward the front. When I did this the rear seems lower and almost appears that I have less clearance fron the bottom edge of the fender and the tire? :confused: In this pic it sat level. I dont have a pic yet of the after flip.
Tora tora after painting.jpg

Yes, they were backwards.

Flipping them wouldn't change ride height. Your springs are likely just starting to sag. It sounds like you need to rearc your springs, add an "add-a-leaf", or get some new rear springs.

Yes, they were backwards.

Flipping them wouldn't change ride height. Your springs are likely just starting to sag. It sounds like you need to rearc your springs, add an "add-a-leaf", or get some new rear springs.

I believe you are right about the sag Smurf. To my knowledge these are the oem springs according to the po and it is a 78 chassis. Thanks again for your input. Always a pleasure hearing from you.:beer:

Sag has been an issue that keeps reapearing with my 40... Problem of owning one for 20 years.:D

X2
Yes the shackles were on backwards, but not upside down. There is no way that flipping them would change the ride height. You have either overtightened the shackle bolts so it can't swing freely or you are imagining it.

X2
Yes the shackles were on backwards, but not upside down. There is no way that flipping them would change the ride height. You have either overtightened the shackle bolts so it can't swing freely or you are imagining it.

Makes since, I did tighten the guts out of the shackle bolts. I will back them off some and see if I get more swing. Also the rig has anti-inversions on the rear of the front leafs they apper to be backwards as well. Does the point on these face to the rear? I have to ask, I never ran these types of shackles before so forgive my ignorance.

Yes. Point faces to the rear usually with the short side up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom