Rear SF diff-damn thrust washers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm putting my rear diff back together... it's a semi float in my 60 with an ARB locker. Any tips on getting the thrust washers to stay in place while doing that assembly?

I'm putting my rear diff back together... it's a semi float in my 60 with an ARB locker. Any tips on getting the thrust washers to stay in place while doing that assembly?
Thrust washers? You putting in an air locker? The thrust washers go away when you remove the open spider gear assembly.
I’m kind of confused on what you are doing? The c clips have already been installed here? I just watched that video

The thrust washers need to be in place prior to when you install the cross shaft.
Are they in there in the video?

That's the question, are they in there in the video?
I'll be pulling the Cross pin back out and triple checking that they are actually where they belong.

Did you take the ARB apart and put it back together? You shouldn't have to touch anything within the locker unless you took it apart and reassembled, or it's worn out.

Locker was not taken apart everything in the locker looks fine except for the thrust washers moving around. It was shipped... which would have meant it got banged around quite a bit.
I had to have the ring and pinion replaced.

I just looked over another set of installation instructions.
You shouldn’t have anything to do with the thrust washers. Did the cross shaft come out at all? It’s held in with
that long threaded pin IRRC.
You did replace the ring and pinion so I assume new bearings got pressed onto the locker. Was the ring gear brand new?
Did it fit on okay or did you heat it a bit to get it to slide over? In the video is this sitting on the bench or are the
axles and c clips already installed?
If you didn’t take it apart, and the cross shaft was in place when you assembled it, the thrust washers should be
in place and should be nothing to worry about. Was this locker brand new?

Yes the cross shaft was out because the diff had to come out of the rear axle housing to be sent out to have the ring and pinion replaced.
As you know you have to take the Cross pin out so that you can get the spacer out so you can get the c clips out so you can take the axle shafts out so you can remove the diff....

Just looking at the illustrated picture on the instructions. There are three shafts, held in with individual
threaded pins. What I’d do to ensure I’d captured the thrust washer is rotate the housing so the one I’m checking is
Vertical and at the top. That way I could look down into the shaft hole and locate the thrust washer and make sure it’s
in position for the shaft to slide up and I could see the shaft capture the thrust washer and spider gear at the same time.
Should be easy to push the shorter shaft up with your finger and make sure the locking pin hole is correct and as soon
as the shaft is level in the housing the pin should thread in easily.
Then I’d rotate the housing 180 and same with the second short shaft. This way the two are installed and the two
spider gears and thrust washers are locked in place. I’d try to keep it so you are installing the shaft vertically so the thrust washers are being held in place with gravity and I’d hope less likely to shift out of position.
Making sense?

With the ARB locker inside the diff housing (and axle housing) you can't install the long pin vertically. The two short pins are installed fine, those thrust washers are not the problem. My challenge is getting the two thrust washers that sit on the long pin to stay in place while I insert the long pin without having access to the back side.

How about making a short slug pin that you insert from outside just to hold the thrust washer in place
that gets pushed out from the inside when you push the shaft through. It would then just fall out the back and fall into the housing and you just pull it out. Like a wooden dowel or something like that? I don’t recall how I dealt with this.
I might have used a blob of grease, which will get churned up in the gear oil. Not pretty but essentially harmless.

I'd use some sticky grease if possible to 'glue' them in place. The diff won't ever know it was there.

I will try the grease first... and the "slug" is a good idea... I even thought about a piece of PVC pipe cut in half lengthwise that would fall out in 2 pieces and not want to get hung up on the back side...

I'm making an executive decision. I pulled the center pin back out and the spacer and I can see that there is a thrust washer between each of those two gears and the housing. I put it all back together and it appears the biggest amount of wiggle is in the spacer... so I could possibly put in thicker c clips although the ones that are there are the same ones I had in there before.

Glad to hear it’s back together. I know what it’s like to mess with this kind of thing
and the uncertainty of potential consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom