Rear Seatbelt Options on a FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

I am hoping that I can get some help figuring out a better option for my rear seatbelt setup in my 1988 FJ62. I currently have three seat belt setups in the rear seat. There are two shoulder harness setups on the outside seats and one center lap belt only setup. I am looking for a better setup for the shoulder harness setup. It is a lap belt the has an attachable shoulder harness. The challenging part is that the shoulder portion works somewhat independently from the auto-retracting lap belt. I have seen some images of an 89 with the lap and shoulder harness attached as a one system auto retracting system. Does anyone know if this can be retrofitted into an 88? The existing system is hard to attach and adjust for my 8 year old.

image-1548708360.jpg

image-334790051.jpg

image-1515032708.jpg

image-2144955959.jpg

I think that in 88 they had 3 lap belts, then in 89 they changed to to outboard shoulder harnesses. I am guessing that what you have is the retrofit kit for the 88s. I think what you need is the full system that they used on the 89-90s. I may be wrong on this, and someone else may chime in that knows more.

You have retro-fit kits from SOR. There is no better shoulder strap options for your model.. (A cavity in the pillar is needed to accommodate the belt retractor and it was not in the 62 design until late '89 models).

Jgroux,

I have an 88 model that I'm trying to add in 3 point retractable abelts in the rear. I ordered them from seatbelt planet and they fit great with the exception of the retractor. You mentioned that A cavity in the pillar is needed to accommodate the belt retractor and it was not in the 62 design until late '89 models. I've been searching for that trim piece, but can't seem to find it. I think I may need to look for that piece off of an 89 or 90 and cut it in. Would love to see some pics of an 88 owner that has added in these rear retractable. I got lucky and had the threaded bolt hole in the A pillar. Appreciate the assist.

Jgroux,

I have an 88 model that I'm trying to add in 3 point retractable abelts in the rear. I ordered them from seatbelt planet and they fit great with the exception of the retractor. You mentioned that A cavity in the pillar is needed to accommodate the belt retractor and it was not in the 62 design until late '89 models. I've been searching for that trim piece, but can't seem to find it. I think I may need to look for that piece off of an 89 or 90 and cut it in. Would love to see some pics of an 88 owner that has added in these rear retractable. I got lucky and had the threaded bolt hole in the A pillar. Appreciate the assist.

I have added rear shoulder seat belts in my ‘88, and there are threaded bolt holes under the fabric in the upper section of the pillar. I bought a used rear seat belt kit from a mudder and the install was pretty easy.

I’ll try and post up pics tomorrow. There are also threads on the subject. You do have to cut some metal on the lower section of the pillar next to the rear seat to embed the retractor.

Cheers

Here’s a good thread.

HTH!

I have added rear shoulder seat belts in my ‘88, and there are threaded bolt holes under the fabric in the upper section of the pillar. I bought a used rear seat belt kit from a mudder and the install was pretty easy.

I’ll try and post up pics tomorrow. There are also threads on the subject. You do have to cut some metal on the lower section of the pillar next to the rear seat to embed the retractor.

Cheers
Awesome. Looking forward to the pics. Will check out the other thread as well. Thanks!

I am in the process of doing this conversion and had to source parts from cruiserworld.eu and a vendor in Aus. After ordering I found that Cruiser Parts has the whole kit:

Cruiserparts

I will need to widen the openings for the retractors and modify the rear panels. The link Tennessee80 posted is spot on!!

Last edited:
I am in the process of doing this conversion and had to source parts from cruiserworld.eu and a vendor in Aus. After ordering I found that Cruiser Parts has the whole kit:

Cruiserparts

I will need to widen the openings for the retractors and modify the rear panels. The link Tennessee80 posted is spot on!!
Would you happen to have the whole kit number from cruiserworld.eu. The big thing that I need are the trim pieces. I agree that I’ll have to cut in the retractors to make them fit flush. A little scary cutting into it but from the pics, looks to be necessary. Appreciate the info. Thanks

My link to Cruiserparts was bad - fixed it.

Cruiserparts

Cruiserworld did not have the full kit - they were missing the trim pieces. The complete kit on Cruiserparts is $400.

Thanks. Reached out to cruiserparts and they’re out of kits. They mentioned those trim pieces are the hardest to source. Best to try to find it from another mudder or get lucky with someone parting their 89 or 90 out. Might try some overseas companies to see if they have those trim pieces. Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated

Thanks. Reached out to cruiserparts and they’re out of kits. They mentioned those trim pieces are the hardest to source. Best to try to find it from another mudder or get lucky with someone parting their 89 or 90 out. Might try some overseas companies to see if they have those trim pieces. Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated

I have the upper trim piece but the lower ones I don’t have (that are near the wheel well). You can’t really see that “lack” unless you look, and the function is better than the form in this case. My kids are safer in the back seat now!

Good luck!

I have the upper trim piece but the lower ones I don’t have (that are near the wheel well). You can’t really see that “lack” unless you look, and the function is better than the form in this case. My kids are safer in the back seat now!

Good luck!
Thanks. So I ended up sourcing the trim pieces from Australia and was ready to install. Got to the point where I was putting in the belts into the cavity I cut out and noticed that there was no way to recess them. I screwed up and ordered what I thought was a good OEM retro from seatbeltplanet. The ones they sell are for external mounting, not for recessed mounting. $250 and learned the hard way. Now I need to source, gray retractable, rear seatbelts for my 88 that can be mounting "in" the cavity I cut out. Live and you learn right?

Thanks. So I ended up sourcing the trim pieces from Australia and was ready to install. Got to the point where I was putting in the belts into the cavity I cut out and noticed that there was no way to recess them. I screwed up and ordered what I thought was a good OEM retro from seatbeltplanet. The ones they sell are for external mounting, not for recessed mounting. $250 and learned the hard way. Now I need to source, gray retractable, rear seatbelts for my 88 that can be mounting "in" the cavity I cut out. Live and you learn right?

Been looking for the pieces for a good bit, where did you find them from Australia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom