Rear seat broken - repair or replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rusto

SILVER Star
Threads
My two jump seats are in really good shape, save for one place on the passenger side seat that is broken. Not being a welder, does this look like something that could be repaired? Or should I start thinking about replacing it? the sheet metal is pretty thin.

Drivers side jump seat.jpg

Passenger side jump seat - broken part.jpg

Passenger side jump seat.jpg

A good welder can fix and reinforce your jump seat. Both of mine had similar damage and were repaired.

@cruiserkev - that's what I was hoping to hear. I have a pretty good welder that I use from time to time that can probably do what needs doing on this one.
Ultimately, I'm going to get my own 110v MIG w/ gas welder for some other items, but that's down the road and I don't want to "practice" on something like this.

I would remove the seat then remove the cover to see how bad it really. It also looks like the leg behind it is square tubing. Something happened to that seat. Possibly while it was removed if the other seat is fine.

Took it out, took the padding off and here's what I have to work with. Overall, metal seems to be in good shape. It looks like the rusty hinge put undue pressure on where the hinge connects to the seat tube. As if when the seat wouldn't easily fold down, it was just muscled down, then back up, then down. Repeatedly. Eventually it lead to the metal failing.

It does look repairable. I'll get all the surface rust off, then take it down to my welder buddy and see what he comes up with.

Seat - 2nd hinge.jpg

Seat - Big picture.jpg

Seat - broken hinge 2.jpg

Seat - broken hinge.jpg

Took it out, took the padding off and here's what I have to work with. Overall, metal seems to be in good shape. It looks like the rusty hinge put undue pressure on where the hinge connects to the seat tube. As if when the seat wouldn't easily fold down, it was just muscled down, then back up, then down. Repeatedly. Eventually it lead to the metal failing.

It does look repairable. I'll get all the surface rust off, then take it down to my welder buddy and see what he comes up with.

View attachment 2418875

View attachment 2418876

View attachment 2418877

View attachment 2418878

Your last picture shows the bend in the front side right where the bumper pad screws in the bottom. This is the angle I mentioned in your wanted ad. My spare doesn't one does not have that bend. Bend was added for clearance for the back of the front seats. Wasn't sure if other markets had it. 9/73 US required a roll bar and short jump seats started in the US.

Would be curious to see what the back rear leg looks like. Another picture makes it look like square tubing. Stock is round for all the frames.

Its all round tubing, must be the picture that makes it look square

More pics. going to try and run it by the welder and get his opinion on it. What's up with the seat back? That can't be a factory set up, can it?

I'm thinking of just getting new round tubing for the rear part of the seat. We'll see.

Full Passenger jump seat frame.jpg

Back of the jump seat.jpg

Cracked rear tube close up.jpg

Welder says he can fix it for $50 - $100 and have it for me the middle of next week. I'll post the results..

Fixed for a $100. not the most elegant of welds, but the extra material should make it quite a bit stronger and it's all hidden from view when the seat covers are on.
Beats finding new seats, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom