Rear Seat Belts FJ62- Were they factory? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Texas recently passed legislation that all occupants (regardless of age or seating position - front/rear) are to be secured by a seatbelt. I don't have rear belts installed but the anchor points are present. Did all FJ62s come equipped with rear belts, only some, etc? I am concerned since the anchor points are present that my vehicle is subject to the law and I need to source rear belts (even though I don't believe the belts were installed from the factory)...

All 62's were fitted with rear seat belts that came over the shoulder as far as I know. My 82 BJ only came with lap belts in the rear seat.

Take a look at the door pillar for the back seat. Does it look like the belt retract mechanism was removed? If there is no opening in the trim you may have an oddball that didn't have them but I think someone removed them.

Tony

Thanks... there is no opening in my rear trim. I have seen the pics of trim to allow fitment of the retractor but mine doesn't have it. I thought about adding rear belts in the past but decided against it since I would need to find the trim pieces as well. I guess the time has come... :rolleyes:

My CAN spec 1988 FJ62 only came with lap belts, I'm still waiting to do the shoulder/ lap belt retrofit.

I've seen a couple of early 1988 FJ62s that had only lap belts and no headrests on rear seat back. Sourcing laps belts shouldn't be difficult with all the 60 series being parted out, but the best set up is retractable 3-point belts if you carry passengers much.

88FJ62's had lap belts. 89 and 90 had shoulder belts, with a lap belt in the middle position. I'm uncertain whether the 88 has the threaded upper anchor point or the properly sized retractor mounting point. In any event, you can add the shoulder belts even if the fixed points are not there. Plenty of discussion on this issue has passed on this site. Cruiserparts.net can supply you with the belts and trim you will need.

Last edited:
I got em

I have all you need...all four trim panels and two complete three point seatbelts. I am in Dallas, PM if interested.

FWIW my 88 FJ62 did not come with rear three points.

88FJ62's had lap belts. 89 and 90 had shoulder belts, with a lap belt in the middle position. I'm uncertain whether the 88 has the threaded upper anchor point or the properly sized retractor mounting point. In any event, you can add the shoulder belts even if the fixed points are not there. Plenty of discussion on this issue has passed on this site. Cruiserparts.net can supply you with the belts and trim you will need.

Some do, some don't as far as the threaded anchor point goes.

Someone removed your seatbelts.

Thanks for the hook-up SUUEEET, my passengers will now be in compliance with the law. Install was straight forward... looks like the PO removed the rear belts and installed 60 panels, I dunno. Either way, removed the existing trim and cut the existing panels to size and the gang is ready to roll...

Old setup, no belts, funky trim around the wheel wells that never looked right...
Prebelt.jpg

Post belt/trim install...
PostBelt1.jpg

PostBelt2.jpg

Panels trimmed up...
PostBelt3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom