Rear seal fix on 87 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings: Looking for advice regarding the cost and practicality of replacing the rear seal of my beloved '87 FJ60. A) Any viable alternatives to complete replacement? B) How big and expensive is the job? Appreciate your sharing of knowledge and experience. Thank you.

are you talking about the rear main seal? Cause if oyu do that yourself the seal is like 15 bucks or something, then if you need a tranny jack add that cost. It's not expensive just a PITA.

Brian

The only propper way to take care of it is to replace it. It's a huge pain to get to.

You might buy some time by switching to a thicker oil- I've had very good luck with Rotella T-syn and leaks.

I ended up having the dealership replace my leaking rear main, twice (because of their screw up). The up side is that I now have a leak free truck. My 18 year old cruiser leaks less (zero) oil than my newer 80 series.

And if you're going to do the rear main seal, might as well throw in a new clutch so you don't have to pull the transmission again a year or two down the road.

rear seal

I need to replace my rear main seal also due to a small leak. Is there any negative consequences of changing to a heavier oil. Also does any one have a any experience with the cost of labor for this job?

another line said:
I need to replace my rear main seal also due to a small leak. Is there any negative consequences of changing to a heavier oil. Also does any one have a any experience with the cost of labor for this job?

I used some of that stop leak in mine and it slowed the leak down.
I was quoted 5-6 hours labour for my 3F but I junked the motor and didnt go ahead with the new seal.

How long it takes depends on the experience and honesty of the mechanic.
The mechanic who quoted me 5-6 hours has done hundreds of them.

If its not leaking bad ,wait till the clutch needs doing as its almost the same job

I fully agree with rosecoFJ73's advice.
If it's not leaks seriously and clutch disc wasn't soak with motor oil, leave it until next clutch service time.
But it could be done only within 1 hour if you can use car lift and transmission jack.
Also it could be done about 2~3 hours using with floor type trany jack.

Oh, Min Seok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom