Rear rotor covered in diff oil :-( (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While looking under car today, I noticed oil all around the rotor, took wheel and rotor off and see whats in the pic :(

I have tried a search on the forum for a rear axle service but cant find much, has anyone got a link on how to do the service and what I will need in regards to parts?

Regards Mick
ABCD0020.JPG

New shoes and an inner axle oil seal.

Wheel bearings will need repacking as you need to pull the shaft out to change the seal.

Paul

Do you know if there is a link on how its all done? I have lockers, does this make it harder to do?

Last edited:
There is a few links in the FAQ on how to do the rear axle..

make sure the breather tube for the axles isn't clogged with mud or something. If it is blocked pressure could build up and force oil out the seals.

There's info in the faq, by Beno, IIRC. You will need a rear axle tool and some seals.

Hope the spindle area is not chewed up too much that your axle is screwed up so much it is garbage.
I would guess the wheel bearing are soooooo loose, the seal area is messed up, the spindle is messed on both the wheel bearing ride. Also looked to the support for the inner wheel bearing.
Good luck

I have checked for free play up and down and dont feel any looseness in the bearings, there is about 1mm back and forward motion tho.

Would you think I would need to put the wheel back on and lower off axle stand before I try and get the rear lockers in? bearing in mind the last time I tried to put the lockers in all I got was flashing orange drive lights on the dash, can anyone tell me if the locking lights need to be solid when they are in?

Living in the UK the lockers never get used, god knows why they fitted them as standard over here LOL

you have to be in low range, then both front and rear lights will go solid once locked. (unless you have preformed the 7-pin mod).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom