Rear Receiver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is everyone’s preference for a rear receiver? Anybody have a line on an aftermarket bolt on solution or is everyone just fabbing one? I will eventually get a rear metal bumper but would like a solution for a light trailer in the mean time.

As the heavy duty and light duty frame is the same at the rear, you can look for examples for both models. I remember clearly a thread where people showed pictures of their receiver setup on various 70 series, but just can't find it now for the life of me.

Personally I made a custom one that bolts to the OEM rear bumper and to the frame. Been towing up to 4000lb for the last number of years with no issues.

Do you have the factory 4 bolt pattern on your bumper? If you aren’t towing more than 2k or so you can probably use one of these: Holland Pintle Hook with 2 inch ball, 10/5 Ton

My FZJ75 has the factory pintle but I know some 70 series are not set up with one.

Thanks Nick and WDE! I think that for what I am wanting (something for a light trailer) until I get a REAL back bumper, the Pintle Hook may be just the bolt on solution that I am looking for (yes, I have the factory 4 bolt).
Thanks guys!

You should use grade 8 hardware. If you want to go OEM all the way then order the hardware from Toyota (or somewhere like Partsouq.com). Toyota supplied them with two eye bolts and two regular bolts.

For example: 5198560011 Toyota HOOK, EYELET PINTLE Price: 10.93$, Weight: 0.25kg - PartSouq - Auto Parts Around the World PartSouq Auto Parts Around the World

These come in different lengths so you might want to put your vin in and see if you can find the correct hardware.

Or buy a NATO chain plate and some grade 8 hardware. I did that on my 80 series:

1574012823249.png

Probably more info than you want but here’s the pintle configuration on a 2018 Gulf spec 200 series. I don’t have a great photo of the one on the back of my FZJ75 pickup but it’s more or less the same.

1CDEDC1B-F2E8-415A-9B3B-9504FA199B24.jpeg

I have a hitch on mine that is a commercially made one. It fits under the custom rear bumper. It’s looks slightly modified, adding some tabs to connect in the middle but it definitely is commercial and tagged as well. I couldn’t make out a name for it but a quick search in Australia brought this up:

LANDCRUISER 70 SERIES

my setup

BJ74rearbumper.jpg

bumper5.jpg

I was initially thinking of a receiver so that I could also carry a bike rack on the back, but the pintle is kind of nice...

I was initially thinking of a receiver so that I could also carry a bike rack on the back, but the pintle is kind of nice...

I have seen receivers that bolt into that pattern on Land Cruisers over here. They are clearly aftermarket but would work for a bike rack. I brought a bike rack over with me but haven't needed to use it yet so I haven't explored them any further.

Last edited:
I had a local shop make this up using a receiver from NAPA. I was advised that a heavy bike rack (i.e. North Shore Rack) would likely twist the crossmember so reinforcing would be a good idea. Works fine for towing a lighter trailer around.

IMG_0120.jpg

I started with this one.

Then I made it stiffer. It took me a while to figure out my hitch receiver and making it stiff enough for a North Shore 6 bike rack and a moto rack. I couldn’t find any store bought options that were stiff enough out of the box.

The flex was terrible and didn’t seem like it would last very long. Also, the departure angle wasn’t very good, so I flipped the receiver and welded on a thick backing plate with gussets to stop the flex. I also added 2 more bolt holes. Now it has 6 bolts to mount it.

This side up was to flexy for my bike rack and needed support straps from the top of the rack to the upper door hinges. It worked but didn’t inspire confidence.

F8DDE4D6-7375-40AE-9FDF-E93B70D56155.jpeg

Here you can see it flipped over, reinforced and mounted on 6 bolts now. Like this it’s finally stiff enough to put 6 bikes or a moto on there and not worry constantly looking in the rear view every time there’s a bump or water drainage.

26A01C70-CF80-442C-A285-58A20785814A.jpeg

If you don’t want to get the lower tow bar setup then I think you would need to weld a plate on the back of the frame chassis to box up the C section to make it stiff enough. I don’t think the frame would be strong enough as it is and it would twist. I saw a lot of movement when I tried to simply mount to the 4 stock mounting points.

34D85940-075B-4556-BADC-B84CF704D8F0.jpeg

FF3B00CD-AE71-4D6A-88BC-DC57C1AD26CF.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd like a bumper too. That solution was 10X cheaper and took about two hours to mod/install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom