Rear quarter vent window inop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Forgive me if this is out there already--searched by "quarter window" and "vent window" and came up with no troubleshooting help.

After replacing the bulb in my LH quarter window switch, I noticed my RH quarter window isn't working at all. FSM says they share a fuse, so I'm guessing it's not a fuse problem if one works and the other doesn't.

FSM says to check the switch for continuity, but shows the LH switch in the example. Upon testing the RH switch I found continuity to be exactly the opposite (i.e. Open results in continuity between 3-6 and 4-5), so I'm guessing it's supposed to be that way and the switch is good. Assuming I now need to remove trim and check the motor itself, but is my thinking on the switch right-on?

1604612272511.png

Any luck you tried the switch w/o any bulb? Free diagnostic step.

Nope, bulb was in this switch—and working (it’s not the one I pulled for a bulb replacement—just happened to test both after reinstalling and noticed this one didn’t work, though I’m pretty sure it was working two weeks ago). Continuity across 1-2 (bulb) was good...

Very glad it’s stuck closed and not open...

Last edited:
I think he's saying try using the other switch to rule out it being the switch vs. wiring/motor.

Ahhhh, thanks. That was actually the first thing I tried—they’re not interchangeable.

FSM says to check the switch for continuity, but shows the LH switch in the example. Upon testing the RH switch I found continuity to be exactly the opposite (i.e. Open results in continuity between 3-6 and 4-5), so I'm guessing it's supposed to be that way.
Is that a safe/correct assumption?

Is that a safe/correct assumption?

Precisely my question! Sorry that wasn’t more obvious....

Since it’s difficult for me to imagine a broken RH switch behaving in exactly the opposite manner as a functioning LH switch, rather than just having no continuity when rocked in one direction or the other, I’m assuming it’s probably working fine, but did want to poll the group, especially if someone’s got a working one laying around they can stick a multimeter on....

So finally tore out the trim and tested the motor as per FSM—applied 12V—nothing with either polarity.

seems like a weird thing to die out of the blue—we’ve probably used those vent windows all of 10 times in two years. Maybe PO used the snot out of them, but that seems unlikely in SF CA.

Replacement is $230 at partsouq! Strongly considering living without one vent window....

or you could grab one from a minivan...

Found used ones on ebay for $85 shipped; tested ones on car-part are $55--I'll call and see what shipping will run me . . .

It's alive! Replacement motor arrived today from Travers City, MI (thanks, car-part.com!), and I put it in--about a 3 minute job, once the trim is removed (I left mine removed after the Saturday diagnosis session). And it works!

So that tells me that the RH and LH switches are opposite. FSM test is 180-degrees out for RH switch, unless of course there's terminal numbering printed somewhere on the switch itself and the terminals are numbered differently on the right??

Replacement motor (installed in the pic below) was dusty and generally looked like hell. My non-working motor looks like it just came off the assembly line. Go figure.

Part no. is 85770-60020. Same part number for left and right vent windows.

86373FDC-EB84-4DB1-8F75-44D51DD3D161.jpeg

Continuing this riveting saga with an important update:

I was wondering whether to throw the old motor in the trash or try to take it apart to see if there's a $5 motor at its heart that people can just replace, as is the case with the door lock actuators.

When I noticed that something that looked almost like a memory card was sticking out back by the wires for the motor.

Which I then realized was how the wires connect . . .

Which means I probably knocked this loose when I had the quarter vent windows out several months ago to replace the trim at their leading edge . . .

Plugged it back in and ran out to the truck to apply 12V. Works perfectly. My only comfort is that a) that is hard to notice with the motor mounted, partly because that motor is tucked up against rear climate control stuff, and b) at least I bought a used motor and my mistake was only an $80 one . . .

Pics: Pic 1 is after I cut the tiny zip tie that is supposed to be holding that connector in and pulled it out a bit further--it wasn't sticking out that far, but the wires had gotten out of their track (pic 3) and were keeping it from being pushed all the way in without removing and re-routing those little fellows:

32BFCF49-196C-4AE6-9517-6248E2B89225.jpeg

3F8F0BD3-31E4-490C-A168-8735D7AC22F7.jpeg

BE79ACCD-00CE-4B49-98AF-55A815BB4640.jpeg

7AF1A8E9-6282-4120-88D4-676E8DC9D4B8.jpeg

Last edited:
"I had the quarter vent windows out several months ago to replace the trim at their leading edge"
interesting- is this the exterior black plastic trim?- is that a tough job and did u find that trim on partsouq?

ummm dude, @mdcoa...whats with your finger lol....looks like you self super glued and stitched the tip of your thumb back on...

@ShenValley100LC and @LXKevin : Yeah, unsuccessful attempt to amputate the tip of my thumb while chopping some bacon for the kale . . . wondered if anyone'd notice, given that poorly focused photo . . .

Sorry, I have failed you. Once I realized the motor I removed was fine, I put it in the spares bin and didn't touch it again--didn't want to tear into a perfectly good motor (probably in better shape than the used replacement I bought, but by the time I realized it everything was all buttoned back up).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom