Rear proportioning valve..hmm who needs it?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so my wife's 80 came the Wisconsin rust belt.... (has more rust on the frame and axles than my 77 40)

anyway after lifting the truck with ome mediums from slee .. i wanted to adjust the valve appropraiatly... several months of PB blaster and a wire brush i managed to snap the adjusiting bolt in half attempting to move the nuts... any reason to replace it?? my plan for now is to just wire it up to the frame for full brake effect....

yes i did plan on moving the valve itself but the nuts are almost completly rusted away i fear needing to replace the valve (cdan mentioned the price to me painful but not life theatening)

so anyreason why i couldn't just wire it up out of the way??

thanks

dan

thanks... i mean is it gonna cause waaaaayyy too much rear brake or what???? what is the ratio and suff....
btw we are running 315/75r16's

dan

I would hazard to guess that your ABS will not function properly in an emergency stop sending way to much pressure to the rears and maybe get you into a full lock up situation. I don't think I would want the rear comming around to the front in a crisis situation. Order the parts and enjoy your wifes company for a few more years. Do your kids ride in the truck as well??? I put a 3" lift on and raised the rod to the top of the adjuster nut, bout 5/8th's and it evened out the brakes nicely.

Based on my experience there is not enough adjustment on the threaded rod to compenstate for an OME medium lift. I Had to move the valve itself to restore factory specified balance between front and rear. Just wiring up the actuating lever, beside being a hack, will result in more rear brake bias than specified by factory.

Last edited:
hmmm yes hack indeed.... but since i snapped the bolt in half and the nuts on the valve are 45% rusted gone i'll have to settle for hack for untill july 15 payday....

some of my lessened worrie is based on the fact that for the next week we'll be packed full of camping gear and the tiny 135lb. puppy and a trailer... more rear brakes seems to be acceptable for more weight...

thanks for the input guys

dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom