Rear Pinion Angle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
missionsonwheels.org
I'm set'n up a FJ60 rear axle to go my 40. Got the old spring perches cut off and picking the Mopar perches Wednesday afternoon to weld on. I'm flipping the rear springs (4" BDS spring packs with the two smallest leafs removed) and run about 1" lift shackle on the back.

With all the mods and since I'm set'n the pinion angle anyway, what is the desired pinion angle? Should I just match the OEM angle off the 40 housing or just point it at the T-case and go cuz it don't matter that much?

May as well do it once and be done :rolleyes:

Thanks

You need to put the axle under the truck with weight on it and check the pinion angle and transfercase angles. Chances are you will find they are too far off to run a non CV driveshaft. If this is the case as I bet it will be, point the pinion at the transfercase and buy a CV driveshaft.

There is no "set" angle as all spring and shackle setups change the angles.

Correct. If you are running a non-CV make the pinion flange the same as the parking brake flange (where the D-shaft mounts to it). This way the angles are the same and the vibes cancel each other. If you make the D-shaft mounting surfaes the same and the U-joints bind then a CV is in order. 83 FJ60 front D-shaft w/ double cardan CV will bolt right up but may require the length to be altered.

Okay, so what options are out for a CV driveshaft? I know of at least one person running a CV shaft from a Mini, not sure what year tho. A FJ60 front. Can my current DS be converted to a double cardan CV shaft by adding a Spicer double joint?

Driveshaft tech is sorta new to me at this point, thanks for the help!

66fj40x2 said:
Okay, so what options are out for a CV driveshaft? I know of at least one person running a CV shaft from a Mini, not sure what year tho. A FJ60 front. Can my current DS be converted to a double cardan CV shaft by adding a Spicer double joint?

Driveshaft tech is sorta new to me at this point, thanks for the help!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=65863

Regarding converting your DC to a CV I had no luck with the local HD truck places. I'd suggest going to someone like Tom Woods or Highangle Driveline to go that route. I am not saying it can/can't be done but that they would be the place to ask. Of course they may be more interested in selling you a custom $300 DS instead of modifying OE stuff; more work for less money with more chance for a come-back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom