Rear OME Springs - which ones? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yes...that is what i meant. If there were improperly indexed would that cut the amount you would be able to lift it?

Possibly. Crawl under your rig with a light and take a look to see how many threads you have remaining on the t-bar adjusters (check each side they may be different). Generally you will get about 1/8" lift with each full rotation of the adjuster bolt (just an approximation).

Not to stir the pot...oh well I guess I will anyway...I've had 865, 866, 863, 864 and a set of Slee custom springs on my 100 since I started modding it. Based upon no steel rear bumper, and little to no cargo I would recommend the 865's...as Campfire and Shotts stated this results in a nice ride and nice ride height given your rig configuration. Otherwise it will be a bit on the stink bug side with 863's. Whether or not you can find them used is another issue.

yes...that is what i meant. If there were improperly indexed would that cut the amount you would be able to lift it?

Yes!
You can install T-bars with the splines so they the adjusting arms up out of the way, or you can work it a little so you have the maximum lift. All the tension has to be off the suspension (tires fully off the ground) and it might take two or three times of putting the torque arm in to get it just right. If you disconnect the shock, it will let the lower control arm down farther to the stop to get a spline or two more.

Possibly. Crawl under your rig with a light and take a look to see how many threads you have remaining on the t-bar adjusters (check each side they may be different). Generally you will get about 1/8" lift with each full rotation of the adjuster bolt (just an approximation).

Not to stir the pot...oh well I guess I will anyway...I've had 865, 866, 863, 864 and a set of Slee custom springs on my 100 since I started modding it. Based upon no steel rear bumper, and little to no cargo I would recommend the 865's...as Campfire and Shotts stated this results in a nice ride and nice ride height given your rig configuration. Otherwise it will be a bit on the stink bug side with 863's. Whether or not you can find them used is another issue.
jesus, now i am all confused.....

Do not install 863 if you have no extra weight in the back of your truck. I had 866 with factory bumper. It was perfect and the ride smooth. I added rear bumper w/tire carier. It sagged a little so i added 10mm spacers. That is what you see in my avatar. I now run 863 and they are freaking huge and stiff. Rides perfect with my trailer attached but otherwise is overly tall and stiff. Acceptable with Spare tire and 60" highlift hung on the rear bumper and a trunk full of tools, but for the most part too stiff. Want to buy my 866's? PM me

Last edited:
jesus, now i am all confused.....

Liam: No need to be! Based upon the fact you don't and won't have an aftermarket steel bumper and you stated you really don't have much in the way of heavy cargo the 865's are perfect. FYI: I ran 865's with my Slee rear bumper with tire carrier and they were fine. It was only after adding the African Outback drawers which are incredibly heavy along with tons of recovery gear, tools that I had to go with a stiffer spring (the 863). And then the 863 wasn't sufficient when I started pulling my Adventure Trailer Horizon everywhere...so that is why I moved from the 863 to the 864...which is perfect even with the addition of the 25 gallon aux fuel tank.

Do yourself the favor: Just order a set (new or used if you can find them) of 865's...you will like them!!!

Food for thought...

I bought a used pair of 863s from a mud member about 15 months ago. He took them off his 100 (with no bumpers, tools, spare tires) because the ride was "too stiff"--his words. He sold them to me with less than 1000 miles on them, shipped from the NE to me for $115.00. I haven't installed them yet but I bought them because eventually I will install a rear bumper. I'm just waiting on the envelope in the sock drawer to fill up and I'll do it all at once.

Either way...:cheers: Good advice in this thread.

I have an ARB commercial bar, M8 winch, OME t-bars, and 863's. My truck is level and there's a bit more to go on the t-bars.

NOT A CHANCE!

The front in the pic below is MAXED out...2.75" up.
The back has 863's AND a huge steel bumper with tire and jack....and it's NOT level. Take that load off and you have a '74 Camaro that's jacked up in the back.

44070090_2SbXW-L.jpg

I also have the OEM rear bumper and bought 865 from a mud member and the ride is nice but more cushy off road than on road. It helps a lot when I tow my 4500Lb camper...kind of straghten up the truck ...no sag when towing

Shotts...did you life the front 2.75" ??? I lifted about 2 " from original T bars and CV's started leaking but now it's all fixed...Wondering whether I could lift more...what are your fender to center mesurement??

NOT A CHANCE!

The front in the pic below is MAXED out...2.75" up.
The back has 863's AND a huge steel bumper with tire and jack....and it's NOT level. Take that load off and you have a '74 Camaro that's jacked up in the back.

Well, once again, you're right. Assuming the fender arches are in line, I measured front and rear. Front is 37 7/8", rear is 38 1/8". I have a QUARTER INCH of rake! That's HUGE! If you need a reference of how much that it Shotts, just look down at your . . . . well, nevermind.

Oh, and 3/4" left on the t-bar anchor bolts.

Liam,

Go with Spresso's and Schott's advice and get the 865 springs. You won't be disapointed. Had them on my truck before I added the slee rear bumper. Loved the ride.

I have a used set sitting in the garage since I am now running 866 springs to handle the extra weight of the rear bumper.

PM me if you are interested.

864's

look like this when my truck in not loaded
007-1.jpg

Liam,

Go with Spresso's and Schott's advice and get the 865 springs. You won't be disapointed. Had them on my truck before I added the slee rear bumper. Loved the ride.

I have a used set sitting in the garage since I am now running 866 springs to handle the extra weight of the rear bumper.

PM me if you are interested.
PM sent!!

Well, once again, you're right. Assuming the fender arches are in line, I measured front and rear. Front is 37 7/8", rear is 38 1/8". I have a QUARTER INCH of rake! That's HUGE! If you need a reference of how much that it Shotts, just look down at your . . . . well, nevermind.

Oh, and 3/4" left on the t-bar anchor bolts.

If those measurements were identical you'd still have rake. To level the truck the front number must be higher.

If those measurements were identical you'd still have rake. To level the truck the front number must be higher.

Wow, I had no idea you've taken such exacting measurements on the wheel arches and overall truck. So you're saying that if my front end were just 38 3/16", I wouldn't have rake? Cause it sure doesn't LOOK like I have it now.

Shotts, you're playing with so many variables with each different truck (spring age, tire size, load rating and pressure, t-bar indexing, etc.) there's no cookie cutter spec for this. Every truck is different, accept it. I don't have rake with my set up, you do.

ok, i've got the springs 865's. Much heavier looking than stock. I plan on putting them in this weekend. My question is, does the taller spring go on the DS or the PS??

I think they are the same height...atleast in my pair :eek:))....I don't think you will see a noticeble height diffrence in the springs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom