Rear mounted radiators (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Waggoner5

SILVER Star
Threads
I am going to do this for several reasons on my FZJ45 but I thinking of all the potential issues. I assume that water flow could be an issue as well as getting bubbles in the sytem. I am thinking that the rad will be mounted horizontal between the wheel wells with air being pulled up from below and exiting up. I want to keep it low and prefer the horizontal position. Chime in and let me know the pitfalls.
Gary

seems to me that making it work right and plumb everything is more of a pain then just modifying it to work in the front where it will work properly...

i know some guys who had lots of issues with Leeks and stuff..

I would think that pulling air from below would create all sors of issues. Big rocks and whatever crap you drive over would be first in line. I would think that mounted vertically and making a duct to push air through it at speed would be a better idea.

Course, I have NEVER done anything like that so..

Also, you worried about mud at all???

Mud is not and issue with me, but I plan on pulling air through a vented enclosure to insure nothing gets up to the core. I had thought about pulling air from the top and may still look into this, but I was trying to go with the natural hot air flow.
As far as making room; that just not going to happen. The hood would have to be lengthened about 6 inches and even if it could be done, it would look horrible. Plumbing will be easy. All the desert trucks do it. I appreciate the feedback on this.
G

Cool, make it strong enough so that if the Driveshaft gives up you are safe.
:D

Just curious what engine? inline 8 or v12 or something else super long?

big blocks with all different pulley systems, 6bt, etc... and all ran a front radiator.

option of say tilting the front bib and radiator etc... to allow more clearence?

Yes i remember now, sorry forgot about it.

two smaller radiators mounted

front
/ \ ?
engine

room infront of engine few inches?

Just not a huge fan of cutting large holes in truck beds, especailly the floor.

vertical would require about 6-8" in front for pull through air. VERY good fan and spare on
hand at all times :)

tilt / top towards the cab might save you some room, salvage some of the bed for spare or
what not.

if it has to be, what about mounting it vertical cutting side of the bed and sucking air in? Just one
or two smaller on each side.

cruiser bed cutting yucky :)

John Britten heard all the reasons not to mount the radiator flat under the seat of his race bike. Worked pretty well if I recall. He ducted air all the way through the bike and dumped into the low pressure area behind the bike.

If you run all hard pipes leaks could be minimal if mounted properly. If a trophy truck can run 100 mph across the desert, it should be possible to mount it securely. They run scoops that would look silly on a 45 though.

Under 35 mph, the fans should be sufficient where ever they are mounted as long as they can pull fresh air from somewhere. the issue is pushing air through it at speed if it's gonna be a truck that will see speed.

This is kinda way out of the box, but what if you sealed the bottom of the engine compartment, ducting the air back and over your radiator? It's high pressure cool air. I can see a bunch of issues, but maybe it's a place to start thinking.

if you're running a 1FZ-FE, are you gonna run the A/C as well?

edit- looking at the pics, the bed is already cut. I can see where you would want to mount it between the shock hoops. The problem would be if that is a high or low pressure area at speed.

Last edited:
I will be running the 6 cly with AC. I hope to mount the radiator to the hoops in the rear and a fan or fans will be my next venture. Properly shrouded, I bet a Taurus fan will do fine. I am going to run hard lines between the 2, with short rubber hoses and probably won't be running the truck over about 70 MPH so low presuure area shouldn't be a concern. The AC condensor , tranny and PS coolers are staying up front with a small fan on them.

I would draw the air from between the cab and the box, just duct it into the core thus keeping it vertical, since they are designed to cool this way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom