Rear Main Seal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got a 92 in CA, the second owner had all the reciepts from previous owner. :eek:The second owner didn't even know how to put it in four wheel drive.:doh: I had to show him the emblem on the back that said full time 4wd. It's never been off road and has 168k miles. It's been pretty well maintained, typical wear and tear. I was looking at the receipts "FROM THE DEALER" and noticed that it said rear main seal leaking, monitor oil weekly. Is this part of the oil pan gasket or does the engine and trans need to be separated. What exactly is a rear mmain seal? The Birfs where completely empty,:bang: there was no noises, filled them 3/4 with synthetic grease. I swear it rolls faster. :hillbilly:

Rear main. Will need to pull the trans and engine apart to get to this. Not exactly sure of its purpose but from what I have read it is a bugger to fix on your own. It could also be upper pan arch seal which people say is more common to leak than the rear main. Good luck and welcome

x2 on likely the pan gasket at the arch. That's a common area for the F engines to leak. There's lots of info in the 60s series section on the replacement (use advanced search) if there isn't much here in the 80s forum. I suspect its not an issue on the 1FZ-FE like it is on the 3FE...

Actually the pan arches do leak on the 1FZ... maybe not as frequently as the 3FE, but I can remember a handful of threads about it here....

Go to the 60 or hell 40 forum, same f-ing (no pun intended) motor for the last like 40 years with different names. The stamped-steel pans and cork gaskets I can remember replacing on my 84 FJ60 were a pain in the neck and oil leaks are sorta part of the animal with a F engine as far as I'm concerned. Not a fan of that powerplant or any stamped-steel engine components that require a gasket!

I have not really wiped away the goo to dail in where my rear leak is coming from. I just know that the front of the pan is bone dry, and from the rear back is a mess.

Is there any way to dail in where the leak is coming from short of pulling back the tranny ? Is the only other strategy just replacing the pan gasket (which may be perfectly good) and seeing if that does the trick?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom