Rear Main Seal (Toyota vs. Aftermarket) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is the Toyota rear main seal worth all the extra money over the aftermarket rear main seals sold? I'm looking at Cool Cruisers and their aftermarket rear main seal is $18.93 vs the factory Toyota seal at $63.98. I try to stick with high quality parts as much as possible but at over three times the cost I'm wondering if the aftermarket seal will do.

http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/mainsealrear.html

Talk to the parts guru here on mud,they can hook you up with parts.my vote go OEM i just bought one for my 60 2F part no.90311-99001.

PM Beno

I don't think you want to install the rear main seal twice....

OEM all the way, while it's a 5 minute job to pull out and put in, it's a days job getting to it, your OEM one has lasted at least 25 years, so a few extra dollars will save a lifetime

For me, OEM. It will definitely work, while the aftermarket (not knowing the brand/manufacture) should, might, ought to work I think.

A $45 savings is not worth doing all that work a second time.

Is the Toyota rear main seal worth all the extra money over the aftermarket rear main seals sold? I'm looking at Cool Cruisers and their aftermarket rear main seal is $18.93 vs the factory Toyota seal at $63.98. I try to stick with high quality parts as much as possible but at over three times the cost I'm wondering if the aftermarket seal will do.

http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/mainsealrear.html

factor in the aggravation/pain level if you were to need to replace the aftermarket seal after just a short perod...then figure out how long the stock seal has lasted. Then figure out how much your time is worth.

Just some definitions cuz they're usually misused:

OE = Original Equipment. Just like the one that came on the vehicle when new, or a factory upgrade. Dealer branded, i.e. Toyota.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. The company that was subcontracted to make the original component for the Vehicle manufacturer also makes production runs of the same component for the aftermarket to sell under it's own brand or sells to others to re-brand. Usually identical to the OE component, but not always, and not always the same ISO level. However, I've yet to find a Toyota OEM that is not the same quality as the OE component.

I'd most likely go with the OE (lol Spike). I'd ask for a better discount though or contact the Beno etc on here. I found with dealers you need to tell them you have heard Land Cruiser club members get better rates on parts, like jobber rates, as we are Toyota enthusiasts. If that dealer doesn't provide you a discount go to another. I've always heard of them giving a better discount for Land Cruiser owners. We are their legacy keepers.

That said the aftermarket is probably a japanese brand and of decent quality. But I would not put in a chinese copy part, which is why I would go OE.

I've used one from Napa before and had no issue with it.

Update. Bought a RearMainSeal from CityRacer 42.00 OEM.

Also bought the Fel-Pro TCS 45613 Timing Cover Set​

coming, includes front seal. Any thoughts? Someone at FelPro said they used spray copper gasket adhesives instead of RTV. Blue thread locker on the bottom threads as per POSER and the FSM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom