1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear main Seal replacement

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by zetasig, Mar 5, 2004.

1. zetasig

zetasig

Well Im finally geting some time to put some pieces together, I hope to have the "new 2F" from the 75Fj 40 dropped into the chassis of the 70 FJ 40 this weekend.

Just curious as to how difficult it would be to replace the rear main seal. I am fairly certain it leaks. I am going to replace the oil pan gasket as well but there is some dripping and such from pretty high up past the end of the oil pan itself.

Thanks.

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Np big deal, especially with the pan down.

Drop the rear main cap, pop out the seal, install the new one, wipe oil and anything else that may be in the bearing cap seating area off, and reinstall, and retourque.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

Just make sure that it is the seal and not the cam gallery plug that is leaking. If there are radial streaks on the front side of the flywheel, then it is the seal. No streaks, probably the plug. No point in going in there again if you don't have to.

4. slow_cruiser

slow_cruiser

Its me again... I'm also in the process of a rear main seal replacement. sorry to steal the thread, but I now have the oil pan bolts off, rear cap bolts off and some front bolts loosened, and I am still struggling to get the pan off. How could I drop the rear main cap to do a quick seal swap? Must I continue on the pan? Thanks.
    fj60 2F

5. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

Huh?

No reason to drop the oil pan to change the rear main seal. You do have to remove the tranny, clutch and flywheel though.

6. slow_cruiser

slow_cruiser

Ok, I got the 2 lower main cap's bolts off. How can I get this down? It seems stuck... thats why I moved to the pan drop.

7. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

Why take the bearing cap off? There is no seal under there. :doh:

8. RAF

RAF Guest

[quote author=Pin_Head link=board=1;threadid=12603;start=msg116218#msg116218 date=1078563048]

Why take the bearing cap off? There is no seal under there. :doh:
    [/quote]

Thats what I was thinking, the seal comes out rearward and is tapped back in the same way. You do not need or want to pull the rear main bearing cap to replace the seal.

9. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    If the oil pan is going to be removed, the extra five minutes that it takes to drop the rear main cap is no big deal, it also makes installing that new rear oil seal very easy, and you do not even have to strike it with any form of driver to get it installed, simply push the seal into place and reinstall the main cap...done deal.

Granted, if your oil pan gasket is not leaking, there is no reason to remove the oil pan to install a new rear seal. In the initial post, he said the pan gasket was going to be replaced.

Good luck!

-Steve

10. zetasig

zetasig

Can I say that I hate IT people at work, I check the notify of replies, but I no get notified. Sorry to chime in late again.

I do plan on replacing the oil pan gasket. I see way too much permatex and other crap on there. I also want to clean it good and paint it.

SO It seems to be pretty easy, remove the pan, remove the rear cap bolts and then replace the seal. I assume the Haynes book has some photos of this? and torque specs for the cap bolts and pan??

BTW, the new 2F is in!!! Just need some spark plug wires :(and other wires hooked back up to light this candle.

If I get some time this weekend and my CCOT parts come I will post an update.

Thanks guys.

11. zetasig

zetasig

UHHHHH I ordered my CCOT parts on the 5th and still havent got them.

I should have been clearer from the start, but I still have the transmission hooked up.

Is it possible to replace the rear main with the transmission and bellhousing bolted to it???

I will replace the pan gasket as soon as the fawker comes in.

12. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

[quote author=Zetasig link=board=1;threadid=12603;start=msg121977#msg121977 date=1079452411]
    Is it possible to replace the rear main with the transmission and bellhousing bolted to it???

[/quote]

NO. the tranny, clutch and flywheel have to come out. The bellhousing has to come out to replace the cam plug.

That's why I'm saying don't fool with the pan gasket unless you have to. Just because there is permatex showing isn't a good reason to remove it. You will have your hands full dealing with the tranny and stuff, so you may lose interest in doing the oil pan too.

Remember the second rule of mechanics: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

13. zetasig

zetasig

Thats what I thought, just having a dumb moment. Nice because I just got everything back in last weekend. Oh well.