rear main seal on 3fe, not a factory size? help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If the pushrod cover gasket from your kit is correct you have a 3F block.

I don't fully understand why the rear face of your crank just happens to be the same diameter as a 2F crank unless it's a 2F crank or maybe possibly it's a re-ground 3F crank that had a bad groove in the sealing surface and the machinist cut it down in order to fit a 2F seal so that the crank could be salvaged.

If it is not possible for a 2F crank to be fitted into a 3F block then it would have to be the latter.

The presence of the aftermarket seal and aftermarket freeze plugs makes me think it could easily be an aftermarket rebuilt block. Anything is possible in that case. Those builders seem to make Frankenstein stuff all the time.

Last edited:
i wouldn't be surprised. probably done at some random shop. when i took the intake/exhaust manifold off, all the bolts were finger loose. and when i pulled out the motor and trans, the top two tranny/engine block 17mm bolts were missing.

slipshod work for sure. and whoever turned down the crank didn't put a 2f seal in anyway. they put in the 3f seal. which now explains my long standing oil leak from said area.

all problems i am now rectifying.

I am rebuilding my 3fe and the face of the rear main seal is about 105mm diameter. It looks like it has a sleeve that fits over a smaller diameter on the crank of about 100 mm. Maybe you are missing the sleeve or is the sleeve some sort of repair? I don't have all the history on my engine to know if it was ever apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom