Rear Main Seal Job - Any special steps after Tranny removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

I am getting ready to swap a transmission into my 98' LX 470, I unfortunately was dealt a blow with the strawberry milkshake of death ( radiator failing and pulling coolant into the transmission) when I installed my Amazon.com purchase Denso unit a few months back. I have not written out the entire escapade of what happened but I strongly recommend that you don't buy anything from Amazon, especially if that fulfilling seller is 'parts geek'... that post will come soon so stay tuned if interested around this ordeal - heads up, it sucked.

I wanted to do a few items while I have the transmission out. With the engine sitting at 380K miles, I figure no matter what I should do the rear main seal as preventative maintenance.

My question is: After the transmission is removed, what special steps do I need to take in order to get to the rear main seal?

I know that I need to remove the flex plate - but what comes next? Do I need to do more large-scale disassembly to get to the oil seal retainer? Or is it just the bolts holding it on and it should pop out?

ALSO - for those of you that have had to take transmissions out for whatever reason, any advice on preventative or proactive items I should service while I have it apart?

Thank you all once again for the kind help and posting - I really appreciate the collective wisdom and support as I bounce back from terrible QA!

Paging @128keaton, who probably knows more than most of us what all is involved.

Paging @128keaton, who probably knows more than most of us what all is involved.

Lol.

Unfortunately, I never actually removed my flex plate, so I'm not sure what else is involved re: getting to the rear main seal. I'd go ahead and flush your transmission cooler lines while the tranny is out. U-joints would also be easy since you have to pull both shafts anyway. Any sort of t-case bearing/seal thats giving you trouble, now would also be the time to address. Removing the tranny was pretty straightforward, honestly. You can do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom