Rear Main Seal Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the secret to these things? I just tore my new one trying to gently tap around it with a rubber hammer. The SST (aligns with the input shaft bearing) in the FSM looks sweet, but I haven't got one. I have two more seals on the way from MAF in case my skills don't improve quickly enough. Who has done this, what's the trick? Thanks,

Matt

i tore two of them and each new one took about a week to get to my house.

You know how there aer bolt holes around the seal opening? We put the seal in straight just enough to get it to stay. We put the original bolts back in with some big washers on them and then tightened them down real slowly (like a 1/2 turn or a turn each time. Eventually the seal popped in.

Oh yeah before all this i used a really fine emory stone to smooth the edge of the seal rim.

Brian

Seems to me that most of them that I have done, have been at the same time as the pan gasket is being replaced, and dropping the rear main, putting the seal in, and re-tourquing the main cap bolts seemd to work well.

I have driven a few in, but have put a thin film of oil around the outside edge of the seal, and the sealing area of the engine.

good luck!

-Steve

I like the washer method. I'll give that a try.

Can I loosen rear cap bolts with the oil pan on? I just replaced that gasket 6 months ago and don't want to do it again. Thanks guys.

put some grease around the the inside and outside of the seal....get it started, make sure it is straight....

now the best tool to use for seating it is the rear cover off of a transfercase (the cover over the input shaft) a couple taps on that with a hammer and you're good to go....

bk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom