Rear Main ???s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question. I have never replaced a rear main on a toy before. It is a 1 peice thus the reason to remove the tranny? If i use some all thread...can i just slide the trannny back a few inches to get access to the rear main cap...or is it best to just remove the tranny?

I tighten up all of the loose oil pan bolts hoping it would fix the problem...but definately a rear main....and I figure while its down for an axle rebuild...may as well do it now.

on a side note...I hate working on non lifted vehicles...too hard to get to stuff :crybaby:

Rear main seal gone? crappy. Is it stick or auto? the tranny will have to come out and so will the flywheel. If it's a stick with a lot of Kilometers you might want to replace the clutch (if it is looking thin) and at that time the front tranny seal and gasket. Also you can check the front tranny bearing as well. I've done my clutch recently, I do not look forward to pulling out the tranny again if I have to.

Nah...it's auto that shifts great. NO worries on the tranny.

I am used to a 2peice rear main that can be done with just dropping the pan for access to rear main cap. The only 1 peice I have done was on a Rover V8 with the engine out on a stand....so I'm jsut trying to get bearings before I get too far :D

you will need to pull the tranny/x-fer. I used a trans jack and about four racheting tie down straps to tame that heavy-ass transmission. The follow directions carefully, install the seal the right way. Going back in would be no fun. I had a pretty good sense of accomplishment when i was done.

Get a 3 foot extension so you can get to the bellhousing bolts from the back, only way for me to get enough on the top bolts to bust them loose.

Make SURE its the rear main before you go in!
The Oil pan gasket leaks back there and it looks alot like the rear main. Has the oil pan gasket been changed?
Toad

Oil pan gasket, side cover gasket, valve cover gasket, oil cooler and fuel pump (on the 2F) can all look alot like a rear main seal leak. Make sure that it really is the rear main before you go to that amount of trouble.

And yep, it's a one piece (circular) seal. Gotta separate the engine and tranny. :(

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom