Rear Main Leak? - better pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Engineer8000

CAPE FEAR ELECTRONICS
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I started getting a fairly significant leak dripping from the clutch cover area of my 3fe. I pulled the cover off and am perplexed by this. There is a good bit of oil on the bell housing but really nothing on the flywheel. This is after sitting over night. Any thoughts? I don't want to go thru all the effort of replacing the rear main if this could be coming from someplace else. Only 20k on this motor since re-build.

20200418_154244.jpg
20200418_154254.jpg

Last edited:
hard to tell, looks like the outside of the bellhousing is wet below the starter
I'd start easy and do the valve cover and side/push rod cover gaskets
then maybe oil pan gasket

The inside of the bell housing is soaked all around with oil where the flywheel would fling it. I've recently done the side cover and valve cover gaskets thinking the same, to no avail. I just expected to see a trail or drip down the face of the flywheel but I guess it just all flings off. And it did drip faster when the engine was revved. I'll be pulling the trans tomorrow.

The inside of the bell housing is soaked all around with oil where the flywheel would fling it. I've recently done the side cover and valve cover gaskets thinking the same, to no avail. I just expected to see a trail or drip down the face of the flywheel but I guess it just all flings off. And it did drip faster when the engine was revved. I'll be pulling the trans tomorrow.

Could possibly be the cam gallery plug, but most likely the rear main crankshaft seal. Pulling the trans and the the clutch/flywheel is the only way to know for sure. Good time to replace the clutch, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing if they have any significant miles on them at all.

Could possibly be the cam gallery plug, but most likely the rear main crankshaft seal. Pulling the trans and the the clutch/flywheel is the only way to know for sure. Good time to replace the clutch, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing if they have any significant miles on them at all.
And also the gearbox input seal.

And also the gearbox input seal.

Could well be. Easier to diagnose as gear lube smells quite differently than motor oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom