Rear Lower control arm OME Bushings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.marklowimagery.com
I imagine this has already been discussed somewhere but I was not able to find an answer to a specific question I have. After reinstalling the arms with the new two part yellow OME bushings, I looked up the torque spec for the arms which is 130 ft lb. Since these bushings are a different design from the OEM, it seems that 130 ft lb is to much. Since there is only the sleeve in the middle, it can't support that much torque without allowing the mounting brackets to distort and bend into the bushes. What is the correct torque for these bushings? I felt like around 90 ft lb was enough to hold it tight but not distort the mounts.

Thanks
Mark

This is a good and timely question. I just put my control arms on tonight with OME bushings and plan to torque them down before I leave for work tomorrow.

When I put mine in, it looked like the sleeves where right against the brackets. I wouldn't have thought the brackets would distort.

So how 'bout it people. What do we torque it to?

Well but with these, at 130 ft lb, you will see the bracket squeeze in and begin to also distort the bushes. I did it at first but never got t 130 because I can't bench press that much, haha. I stopped when I saw what was happening and backed off and put it at 90 ft lb. I will recheck it again tomorrow after being driven some to settle everything in. They are sort of like the OME bushes with the OME Nitros, just tighten until they just begin to bulge out and leave it there. If they are over tightened they will not absorb of cushion as well.

Well but with these, at 130 ft lb, you will see the bracket squeeze in and begin to also distort the bushes. I did it at first but never got t 130 because I can't bench press that much, haha. I stopped when I saw what was happening and backed off and put it at 90 ft lb. I will recheck it again tomorrow after being driven some to settle everything in. They are sort of like the OME bushes with the OME Nitros, just tighten until they just begin to bulge out and leave it there. If they are over tightened they will not absorb of cushion as well.

Torque to manufacturer spec - those torque values are designed to prevent fastener loosening. Poly bushings are supposed to compress around the sleeve if that is how they are designed. You can't crush the sleeve with a mere 130 lb/ft of torque given there is a bolt running through it.

If you are still concerned, call the shop who sold you the bushings and have them check with OME.

Imagery, not sure why you're having issues. I torqued mine down to spec this morning and saw no bulging or anything. The sleeves stick out so they're against the brackets and do not compress much, if any, at all. Do you have pics?

OK, here are some pics but it is sort of hard to see what I am talking about. If you don't think that the spec torque will bend the sleeve inside the bushes, then it probably will be fine. I'll see where I am right now and possibly taking it back to the 130 ftlb spec.
4LC.jpg
3LC.jpg
1LC.jpg

what are those bushings for? to stiffen things up?

Yes they help firm up the rear suspension as noticed on the road and they allow the rear to flex easier and still not be to loose. I don't know if they are better than OEM but mine were 10 years old and pretty hard and a bit dry rotted so these OME bushes are noticeably better. I loke them so far but wonder how long they will actually last before they too become hard and stiff.

Yes they help firm up the rear suspension as noticed on the road and they allow the rear to flex easier and still not be to loose. I don't know if they are better than OEM but mine were 10 years old and pretty hard and a bit dry rotted so these OME bushes are noticeably better. I like them so far but wonder how long they will actually last before they too become hard and stiff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom