Rear Locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Helipilot

SILVER Star
Threads
What does the forum recommend for a rear locker for my '77 FJ40? Air or Electric? I do not plan to do any technical trails but want to have the ability to get out of a tough spot. FWIW I have an 8274 I will install on the front

What does the forum recommend for a rear locker for my '77 FJ40? Air or Electric? I do not plan to do any technical trails but want to have the ability to get out of a tough spot. FWIW I have an 8274 I will install on the front

ARB air for me. Has always worked for 9-10 years now. There when you need it, completely transparent (completely open diff) when you don't.

I went ARB last year ... like it so far.

I went with an auburn limited slip. My truck isn’t a wheeler so I wanted to take the on road performance over the offroad performance.

If you want a full locker, I recommend arb as well.

As @GRM said, Auburn to me is the best. Reasons, does not require air, does not require electricity, and works great. Since it has clutch paks in it , it is not as sure a locker like the ARB is. For general stuff, it is a wonderful device.

Thanks everybody...Time for some shopping

Bought an ARB air locker from East Coast Gear in Raleigh, NC. Had to go with ARB over Harrop because the ARB would allow the clips to be installed and the Harrop would not. The only complaint I have is the installer did not check his air connections for leaks and everything he did leaks, badly. The on-board compressor will cycle about every 15 to 20 minutes, before it was every 15 to 20 days.

I installed a 70 series cable locker and I have been very pleased with it’s performance.

Working on getting everything together to add cable lockers in my FJ62. If I do will go factory E-locker in a FJ40 in the rear at least.

I 've had an Aussie locker in my FJ55 for years. Works great off road. I've not had any issues. When I do wheel, it's 3 hrs to NH or 5 hrs to PA. Never a problem with the locker in the rear.

I've had Detroit lockers in the rear of all my 40's and love them, but wouldn't necessarily recommend them for daily drivers if you regularly have to drive on snow and ice in the winter.

I've had Detroit lockers in the rear of all my 40's and love them, but wouldn't necessarily recommend them for daily drivers if you regularly have to drive on snow and ice in the winter.

Installed Lock-Rights in my 68 FJ40 over twenty five years ago. Not many options for coarse spline axles. Manual steering it is hard to steer when in 4WD. In the back shifting gears in ice snow worry about putting it into a sideways slide. Off road they are great. Shortly after installing them I parked off a trail on a spring turkey hunt. Sunk up to the axles in mud. All four wheels were spinning. Threw a few rocks behind the one wheel closest to the trail and backed right out.

I installed a 70 series cable locker and I have been very pleased with it’s performance.
where did you mount the cable pulls?

Lock- right lockers for me front and rear for almost 20 years daily driver no issues I so run my tires on the softer side. First rear one ate itself I had the preload set to loose. Second one isn’t it up tighter and I barely notice it back there. No silly big bangs anymore. Works good on a budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom