Rear Locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

where did you mount the cable pulls?

Bill I made a bracket and mounted both pull handles under the driver seat. That installation is completely detailed in my build thread.

Auburn LSD for me, WHY:
1. No leaky plumbing, no air tank, no installation kit, no cables.
2. Completely highway manageable, no noise, no wheel hop.
3. On road and off road additional traction.
4. Because they are working ALL the time, they are locked before you get to a mud puddle (obstacle), so most the time you can drive right through it without having to go into 4WD. Rock crawling with one wheel in the air, not so good, but I never was a rock crawler, almost always had some degree of weight on each wheel. Problem with LSD's is with one tire spinning in the air, you have to tap the brake pedal to get more power transferred to the tire on the ground. The original LSD's liked to give more power to the tire that will spin the easiest (tire in the air), but Auburn changed that to giving more power to the tire that already had the best traction- - -home run.
5. Option, instead of running posi fluid you could run regular gear oil, then the LSD acts more like a solid locker, clutches do not slip as easy, and you do notice some wheel hop in corners. We use to supply desert racers with LSD,s and they ran regular gear oil for more of a locker affect.

Last edited:
What happens with your eaton govlock you used to offer for sale. I have one of those in my 2004 AWD Astro and it actually works really good. I wouldn’t mind trying one of these in a daily driver weekend warrior in a 40

Auburn LSD for me, WHY:
1. No leaky plumbing, no air tank, no installation kit, no cables.
2. Completely highway manageable, no noise, no wheel hop.
3. On road and off road additional traction.
4. Because they are working ALL the time, they are locked before you get to a mud puddle (obstacle), so most the time you can drive right through it without having to go into 4WD. Rock crawling with one wheel in the air, not so good, but I never was a rock crawler, almost always had some degree of weight on each wheel. Problem with LSD's is with one tire spinning in the air, you have to tap the brake pedal to get more power transferred to the tire on the ground. The original LSD's liked to give more power to the tire that will spin the easiest (tire in the air), but Auburn changed that to giving more power to the tire that already had the best traction- - -home run.
5. Option, instead of running psi fluid you could run regular gear oil, then the LSD acts more like a solid locker, clutches do not slip as easy, and you do notice some wheel hop in corners. We use to supply desert racers with LSD,s and they ran regular gear oil for more of a locker affect.

Bill I made a bracket and mounted both pull handles under the driver seat. That installation is completely detailed in my build thread.
Thanks, I'll check it out :)

Went with a Powertrax No-Slip locker, same functionality as other lunch box lockers but without the click in corners. Great off road and pretty well mannered on the road. Picked up an ARB a few months ago from a friend but haven’t decided if it’s going in the front or rear. I don’t wheel but a couple times a year and I’m not heavily built so part of me thinks adding a second locker in the front will just get me in trouble (i.e. I will tear up a pretty clean 40)

Love the front end locked you will love it.

Went with a Powertrax No-Slip locker, same functionality as other lunch box lockers but without the click in corners. Great off road and pretty well mannered on the road. Picked up an ARB a few months ago from a friend but haven’t decided if it’s going in the front or rear. I don’t wheel but a couple times a year and I’m not heavily built so part of me thinks adding a second locker in the front will just get me in trouble (i.e. I will tear up a pretty clean 40)

Love the front end locked you will love it.
Off topic: So I locked the rear last year and my gear head desires tell me to lock the front as well. My reluctance lies in the fact that I haven’t upgraded the axle shafts. Are people confident that lunch box style lockers aren’t snapping birfields and shafts? I’m more wanna be crawler, than hardcore wheeler, but I enjoy building things...

Off topic: So I locked the rear last year and my gear head desires tell me to lock the front as well. My reluctance lies in the fact that I haven’t upgraded the axle shafts. Are people confident that lunch box style lockers aren’t snapping birfields and shafts? I’m more wanna be crawler, than hardcore wheeler, but I enjoy building things...

For the price of RCV birfields, I don’t see the point in leaving them stock. I put 27 spline units with stock inner shafts in my fj40 with an open diff.

I say none. I’d rather pull cable than deal with a ratcheting ass auto locker and selective lockers cost about $2000 plus labor to install. How bad do you need it?

Problem with the go locks i
What happens with your eaton govlock you used to offer for sale. I have one of those in my 2004 AWD Astro and it actually works really good. I wouldn’t mind trying one of these in a daily driver weekend warrior in a 40
1,000 years ago before there were any brands of positraction devices available for Landcruisers we use to remanufacture GM Govlocks for the Landcruiser (only game in town at that time). The Govlocks had two problems: (1) One tire would not lock up until the other side was in a full spin. By the time both sides were locked it was frequently too late, you were already stuck. (2) When the Govlock in fact locked it was fairly violent (inside the differential) so they would frequently snap/break the actual locking mechanism, the gears were tuff, the locking mechanism was frail..

I was out this evening and headed up a trail and lost traction. Engaged the ARB locker in the rear and continued on. It was as easy as flipping two switches. I like the convenience that the locker provides. I’ve used it multiple times since the install thus past August.

Based on your description of what you are using your 40 for the Auburn is probably the best choice. Put it in and forget it.

ARB
My rear ARB was installed by Man a Fre when they were still in LA, 18 years ago. No leaks, works flawlessly, no pavement drama. Quality install is key.

Many people (myself included) get in over their heads without trying to on trails that turn sloppy in short sections. That is not the time to wish for more traction or wade through slop to pull a winch cable if you don't have to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom