Rear locker manual engage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, so my LX450 has had a slow to engage rear locker since I bought it. 2 years ago I pulled the actuator and found it in terrible condition I completely disassembled cleaned lubed reassembled with instruction I found here somewhere. Thanks! ... fast forward to today. Diff lock stopped working completely, removed actuator and it was a mess again... this time beyond repair. I would like to know if any of you have in a pinch found a way to just lock the diff up manually, like by jamming something in the housing and tightening it down or... you get the point. I have a wheeling trip tomorrow, leaving in the morning and trailering the pig there. It's been raining like crazy and will undoubtedly be a muddy mess. If I can just leave it locked for the weekend that would be ideal. I would buy a new actuator from a dealer on the way if they have one but I doubt anyone stocks these things, if you know a dealer that does in the Chicagoland area or somewhere in NW Indiana let me know!

excuse my ignorance... but it will stay? Its late and ive been tinkering with this thing for what seems like hours. or you mean intentionally clock the gear assy so it kinda has to stay? That makes sense I think

On my 07 Tacoma e locker (8") I broke a side gear at moab, and since I hadn't done any fancy electrical mods to lock in 2wd, I had to pull the actuator, shift it over myself, bolt the actuator back down, and then drive 700 miles home like that.

got it, thanks guys, loading trailer and hitting the road now

Also, if you jump the wires to the rear locker indicator switch so the truck thinks the rear is always engaged, you'll then be able to use the front locker as well.

Also, if you jump the wires to the rear locker indicator switch so the truck thinks the rear is always engaged, you'll then be able to use the front locker as well.

Not needed, the front isn't linked to the rear, only the switch turns on the rear before the front. But with the rear disabled, I would unplug the rear actuator, so power isn't going to it.

hey jkilcullen,

I had the same thing with mine; slow to react (engage and disengage...).
I've checked to see if new are available (PN: 4145060042) and at what cost...and as usual for me amayama had it for around 450USD, please see here 4145060042 - Search Results - Search for Genuine Parts - Amayama Trading Co.

However, after perfect cleaning and regrease the original one worked fine and still works fine..... so now I have a brand new one sitting in my spare parts box. I'm not considering selling it but if you are in a pinch and interested let me know and maybe we work out a deal....

Not needed, the front isn't linked to the rear, only the switch turns on the rear before the front. But with the rear disabled, I would unplug the rear actuator, so power isn't going to it.

Thanks for the correction. Had the switch and actual operation mixed up.

All worked out great for the weekend. Left indicator switch hooked up so it knew it was locked and left actuator disconnected as to not fry the ecu trying to lock it all weekend. @cruiseroutfit Kurt I would love to order from you. Is your pricing competitive to Rock Auto? Feel free to PM if you like.

RockAuto

On a separate but related note. Time to regear is approaching, anybody that specializes in these yota 3rds that we all trust and like? I am thinking I would pull em and send em out.

All worked out great for the weekend. Left indicator switch hooked up so it knew it was locked and left actuator disconnected as to not fry the ecu trying to lock it all weekend. @cruiseroutfit Kurt I would love to order from you. Is your pricing competitive to Rock Auto? Feel free to PM if you like.

RockAuto

On a separate but related note. Time to regear is approaching, anybody that specializes in these yota 3rds that we all trust and like? I am thinking I would pull em and send em out.

Give us a call, I don't know the price off the top of my head but we are flexible. Keep in mind it's impossible to match RockAuto's price model without matching their customer service and product knowledge, ie can't even tell you what a locker actuator is let alone provide help with it :D

We do 3rds, hundreds of them. Put them in a bucket and send them our way, we rebuild them using all high quality parts and send them back. Give us a ring if you're like to discuss that too!

On my 07 Tacoma e locker (8") I broke a side gear at moab, and since I hadn't done any fancy electrical mods to lock in 2wd, I had to pull the actuator, shift it over myself, bolt the actuator back down, and then drive 700 miles home like that.
Hi, any tips to lock my diff while being in 2wd with my 06 Tacoma ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom