Rear locker in place of LSD? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
I'm having my rear LSD replaced with a Lokka unit (TOY-RL-928 = specific to LSD carrier) and installer is having some issues: The LOKKA doesn't fit into the tolerances in their instruction sheets when we try to assemble. Appears either modification to existing shims or sourcing different thickness shims is required for fitment. Has anyone done this install that could shed some light? Would be much appreciated!

Ummm...
I was about to order this Lokka (TOY-RL-928 = specific to LSD carrier) for my 94 HDJ80 1HD-T...

I think I better wait until this issue is solved...

Ummm...
I was about to order this Lokka (TOY-RL-928 = specific to LSD carrier) for my 94 HDJ80 1HD-T...

I think I better wait until this issue is solved...

theres not really any issue with fitting it other than just making sure that you have the correct thickness side gear thrust washers. if their too thick as mine were you can take them down to get the correct clearance, if their too thin than youll have to get thicker washers. its a super easy install and if I didn't have to take down the washers it would have been about 1 1/2 hour start to finish with the install.

get new axle gaskets, third gasket and if you haven't serviced the rear wheel bearings it would be a good time to refresh the grease in there since the axles are coming out anyways

Ok
Thank you for letting me know. Good to know you installed it on your car.
I have another question.
It says All gears, plates & springs removed, 30 Spline.
Those this mean that I have to get all this to be able to install the Lokka ?

And also, since it's installed rear, don't you have any problems when you make turns ?

I had an open rear so im not totally sure on what is entailed with an install on an lsd rear but im pretty sure that you will need to remove all of the parts associated with the lsd as that will no longer be needed. I would get the gaskets, gear oil and new crush washers for the fill and drain plugs. you may or may not need different sized thrust washers, unfortunately the only way to figure that out is to install and take your mesurments.

no I don't even notice it on turns but it can occasionally give a clunk when backing into a spot or under certain conditions, nothing unusual for this style of locker.

All automatic “lockers” can have issues with popping, banging and tire squealing around turns unless you adjust your driving style to accommodate their operation. Avoid going from coast to drive (or visa versa) when turning. Decelerate completely around the turn and then after the turn is completed, accelerate.

The reason is that they are bi-directional and switch drive sides when you go from decelerate to accelerate. When decelerating in a turn, the inside wheel is ratcheting and when you accelerate, it becomes the drive wheel. This sudden shift can cause noise and jerking.

Ooh ok.
I thought yours had LSD in rear like mine...
Then, I may have to look for an open rear differential to install the Lokka and and leave than on mine as it is...
Thanks again.

Ooh ok.
I thought yours had LSD in rear like mine...
Then, I may have to look for an open rear differential to install the Lokka and and leave than on mine as it is...
Thanks again.

Did you ever figure the clearances out on this one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom