Rear locker..again (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi
New member here and this has probably been asked a million times.
I have a 95 80 series with CDL and Front and Rear lockers. The CDL and Front locker are working just fine but I cannot seem to engage the Rear locker. I have preformed all the "tips an tricks " suggested that I can find.
The Centre and Front are definitely engaging, Centre ECU on right side of vehicle clicks and diff engages, can feel drivetrain wind up when moving so it is working fine. Front locker ECU on left side of vehicle clicks and diff engages, steering heavy as you would expect.
When I go to Rear lock there is no Electronic click and no diff engaging noise.
I have had Landys with the locks on the wheels before but not with electric lockers.
I am going to investigate the left and right kick panels for the ECU's but would appreciate any thoughts on this problem.

I have driven vehicle for a good distance with the lockers that are working engaged and the rear switch On but nothing happens.
I suspect it is electrical more than mechanical but any help would be appreciated.

How fast are you going when you try to engage the rear? You have to be going under 5-10mph for it to engage. They wont engage if you are driving down the road and turn the switch or if your doing over 15mph (ballpark)!

I did a bunch of trial and errors to see when and when not my REAR locker would engage and the best engagement scenario was doing 5mph and driving in a circle so the wheels were at different speeds. Cant comment on the front one though, as i dont have one yet!

Try that and let us know what happens.

Yes, I had problems with mine at first (no clicks or engaging) but I found some dirt and drove around in circles for a while at slow speed in 4 low and then it finally engaged (with click) I did this both clockwise and counter clockwise many times before it would start engaging normally. If this doesn't work there is a write up on the slee facts I believe that walks through taking it apart and fixing problems.

Do you hear the actuator motor running when the rear locker is switched on? The FSM has a good trouble shooting tree for this. Mine had a bad controller box.

Do you hear the rear tires chirping if engaging on ashalt? I had a bad rear diff sensor. Rears were locking but sensor wasn't 'telling' the idiot light on the dash or in the drivers seat. Lock the rears, pull the plug on the rear sensor and use a paperclip to short the plug. See if the diff light stays solid then. If so you've got a cheap $40ish fix with a new sensor from Dan. If not, good luck bro!

Last edited:
Hi all
Thanks for the in put.
Not to sound churlish but I have tried a lot of different tricks to try and engage them, as I said the lockers that are working are making the right ???? noises just before they engage, the rear does not make any noise at all. I have driven it round the dirt roads near my house in low box and tried various speeds, I have been working on a solution for a coupla weeks!!. i have tried full lock side to side and my front lockers now engage in about 0.5 secs!!!
I will try one last time the "lazy" fix and then get the High Acceleration Mass Metal Engineering Relocator out of it's box (HAMMER).
Cheers for the help and keep any suggestions coming.
Will keep you posted as to what happens.
Alan

No
I don't hear any clicks whirrs or bangs....when engaging the rear lockers. Unlike the others which, with the engine off, I can hear merrily doing their stuff. This is why I suspect the diff is not getting the instruction to engage. My next job after fitting new door locks to the wifes Backpackers sanding the bedroom floor etc etc...is to try the paperclip test.
cheers

alan

Rear Locker Update

Cheers for all the input.
Finally attacked the beastie today.

Took off all the conectors and inspected them, didn't seem too bad so gave them a spray and lo and behold I hear the ECU starting to click when engaging the rear locker.It still did not want to engage the Diff though so I removed the cover and could see that the little blighter is all corroded and obviously seized.
Oh well at least I now know where the problem really lies.
Are'nt those top two fastners a sod to get off ay!!

If its seized, do not put power to it, the circuit can deliver enough power to toast the motor windings. If your going to take them apart, remember Toyota classes them as very expensive assemblies, so very little tech info is available from them and no internal parts are available. The front, center and rear actuators are similar in construction and operation, so info can be gained by reading repair reports from any of them. The differences are mainly in the output, shifting part, if not timed correctly when reinstalled it may not work, or the motor may burn up. Read everything you can find before disassembly, then take notes, pictures and make timing marks on the gears, to make sure it goes back together correctly.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=68015

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_diff_lock_actuator.htm

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=20376

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=17701

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=640911&postcount=8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom