Rear License Plate Wiring help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JDNs78FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
Electrical is just not my thing and it never will be!! I'm looking for the most stock look and just can't figure out how this goes together. The license plate lamp assembly's are brand new and only have one green wire coming out of them and the sub-harness @Coolerman built has 2 green wires and 2 white/black wires that are the ground wires. Do I have the wrong lights or is there a way to tie this together?
IMG_5371.jpeg

Are the white/black ground wires connected to the wire harness, and grounded? Just run a ground from the license plate bracket assembly to those two male ends. I'm pretty sure that's how I have mine wired up. It may not be the factory look you're going for, but it should work.

The license plate frame is the ground for the lights with single power wire. I removed the license plate holder and painted mine really pretty with new coat of paint, and lights stopped working. Once I cleaned off the paint and made a good ground between license frame and door, they worked again.

Are the white/black ground wires connected to the wire harness, and grounded? Just run a ground from the license plate bracket assembly to those two male ends. I'm pretty sure that's how I have mine wired up. It may not be the factory look you're going for, but it should work.
Thanks. Yes, the 2 white/black wires are connected to the wire harness and grounded, all of the other running lights work perfect. So what you're saying is get some additional white/black wire with female bullet connections, connect them to the 2 white and black wires in the pic above and run them through the 2 holes to the outside of the ambulance door and attach them to the 3 bolts in the below pic?
08126BD7-1F61-476B-9E4F-75E2A1B5A334_1_105_c.jpeg

I think what you are saying will work, but just for drill, make yourself a 2 ft or so ’jumper wire’, and then, one at a time attach it to one of the white/black wires and then touch the other end to one of those attachment bolts on the other side and see if that bulb lights up. Then do it to the other white/black wire.

If they light up with the power on...then do the final wiring however you wish.

Thanks. Yes, the 2 white/black wires are connected to the wire harness and grounded, all of the other running lights work perfect. So what you're saying is get some additional white/black wire with female bullet connections, connect them to the 2 white and black wires in the pic above and run them through the 2 holes to the outside of the ambulance door and attach them to the 3 bolts in the below pic?View attachment 2564964
That should do it.

I just took a look at mine. The white/black wire on mine is grounded to the bolt on the inside of the door. I just have one ground wire with a ring terminal on it.

I think what you are saying will work, but just for drill, make yourself a 2 ft or so ’jumper wire’, and then, one at a time attach it to one of the white/black wires and then touch the other end to one of those attachment bolts on the other side and see if that bulb lights up. Then do it to the other white/black wire.

If they light up with the power on...then do the final wiring however you wish.
So to test this I ran a "jumper wire" as suggested above from both grounds on the sub-harness and touched it to one of the 3 yellow zinced mounting bolts on the outside and nada. I then took one of the pewter hoods off the license plate mount and touched the jumper wire to one of the mounting bolts and viola' the lights came on. The ground wire has the blue weatherproof ring connector. Here is the result. Thank you all for contributing!!
A477EE2A-D633-4EEE-9219-8E2BF79E2BA7.jpeg

47F150C6-9F0C-4FEB-90AC-BB0031AEFA8D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom