Rear leafspring HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I need some help here.

I'm installing a new suspension to my FJ60 (1986 late model). The front part went in with no issues.

Now, the rear leafsprings in my Cruiser are not as pictured in my Haynes Repair Manual (I know, not the best manual, but is what I have... and you fellow mudders :) ).

I'll pay a visit to my local dealership tomorrow morning, but I want to be informed beforehand.

I need to know if this rubber pads that sit on top/bottom of the rear leafsprings are OEM Toyota and if they are available for purchase. Please confirm.

DSCF8336.jpg

DSCF8341.jpg

This is how it looks without the rubber pads installed. It obviously appears these parts play an important function.

DSCF8347.jpg

DSCF8351.jpg

Please advise.

Those spring isolators were a factory part and are not necessary to install with a lift kit.

I left mine off. The spring pin keeps the spring centered.

Also they are not deep enough for the new springs so it would look funny. Don't worry about it.

Those spring isolators were a factory part and are not necessary to install with a lift kit.

I left mine off. The spring pin keeps the spring centered.

Also they are not deep enough for the new springs so it would look funny. Don't worry about it.

Spring pin diameter is lower than the spring seat/ axle base hole. Too much play.

Please advise.

They are a stock component and you need them to make the spring pain diameter to match. However, OME themselves sell a spacer that is just the perfect thing for doing that job if your rubber isolators are shot.

I got a set from Kurt at Cruiseroutfitters and then ended up re-using the isolators. I may be able to find them if you would want them, but can't look until after this weekend.

The spacer is no more than a bushing that fits around the spring pin to center it in the axle. If you cut apart that rubber piece in the middle you would find the bushing encased in the rubber. No need to use any of those parts in the pic. I have run my wagon this way for years. There is a pic in the suspension write up on our website Here is the link The Wagon Way But it is important to use a spacer/bushing if you leave those parts out. As someone mentioned it centers the spring pack on the pad. I think I got my spacer/bushing from Man-a-fre. Poor mans solution would be to cut the bushing out of the rubber pad.

The reason you need a bushing is that the hole in the spring pad on the axle housing is larger than the spring pin.

Can't say exactly what Toyota used those parts for but it has had no effect on my wagon to leave them off. Picture is slightly different than your front pic as I have ubolt flip kits installed on mine.

Tony

Last edited:
As noted the spacer eliminated the need for the rubber/metal spring isolator. It has the ID of the OME spring pin and the OD of the hole in your axles spring pad. Any OME dealer should have access to them and in fact should offer them to you when you buy a OME suspension on a 60 Series. If you need a set, give us a ring... we can ship them as soon as tomorrow.

Im glad I am reading this post. Man A Fre told me that when I put in my aal's that I needed to remove all of what was pictured in order for everything to work right. I have been driving several months with not even a bushing. I am installing new springs within a few weeks so I will go ahead and get bushings for the spring pins.

I had forgotten about the little metal bushing. I did install one, it was just so long ago I forgot about it :D

My $0.02, I did not re-use the stock bracket and rubber spacer on my OME install. Those items are sized to fit the stock spring anyway...they are a non-issue on bigger aftermarket springs like the OME's.

I did get the big spacer "washers" for the spring pins from Kurt at C.O...they are needed.

Minor hijack here.....As a side note, the only problem I had installing my springs was that the spring pin hole in the bottom stock u-bolt plate wasn't big enough to let the OME pin through. I had to enlarge the hole with a step drill...I had never read about this before on Emu installs.

Ok, one other problem with my install was the crowbar slipping and center punching my forehead when it was late and I'm getting the last rear shackle to slide together......D'OH! :wrench::hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom