Rear Jump Seat Fab? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OKMike

SILVER Star
Threads
Been looking around for a set of the small rear jump seats for my 1977 FJ40. There are plenty out there but they ain't cheap. I'm a 40 owner so I'm used to dropping large sums of cash on a regular basis :) still, looking at the relatively simple design of the rear jump seats I have to believe one of the talented fabricators on here has built their own at some point. Has anybody done this? If so would you be willing to share some info on how you went about it? I'm a decent welder and am always game for trying new fabricating projects.

Alternatively, has anyone found a jump seat that is generic or universal that would fit an FJ40? I have a 1977 with a roll bar so I would need the smaller version. Thanks, Guys!

2nd vote for land rover jump seats. Depending on how much fab work you are wanting to do, the discovery 2 seats are totally worth it. May not be for a purist, but they are a lot more comfortable than the stock jump seats.

20200920_160623.jpg

20200920_160632.jpg

20200918_171549.jpg

Toyota and 36100-98003 would disagree.

View attachment 2514481
2nd vote for land rover jump seats. Depending on how much fab work you are wanting to do, the discovery 2 seats are totally worth it. May not be for a purist, but they are a lot more comfortable than the stock jump seats.

View attachment 2514822

View attachment 2514823

View attachment 2514824

I like the seats but the box needed to have them rest on defeats the advantage of folding jump seats. Guess fold down leg on each seat would solve that issue. Stll a larger gap between the seats. but wouldn't them any further out as then fold up out of the way where they are.

I picked up a fold and tumble rear seat from a two door Montaro. That has a track on each side but when folded and tumbled forward the empty space is in the back with easy excess. Reallly bought it because it matched the front bucket seats, which the driver's is a suspension seat. Bought them at a time when my back was really bad. They never got installed and stored away like so many "maybe projects".

I like the seats but the box needed to have them rest on defeats the advantage of folding jump seats. Guess fold down leg on each seat would solve that issue. Stll a larger gap between the seats. but wouldn't them any further out as then fold up out of the way where they are.

I picked up a fold and tumble rear seat from a two door Montaro. That has a track on each side but when folded and tumbled forward the empty space is in the back with easy excess. Reallly bought it because it matched the front bucket seats, which the driver's is a suspension seat. Bought them at a time when my back was really bad. They never got installed and stored away like so many "maybe projects".

I did the box because I wanted storage. It could totally be done without it.

Considering the same for mine here over in the UK. Do the seats just rest on the box? So only fixing is on the wheel arch?

There is a full locking mechanism in the box. If you want some more pics, let me know.

Been looking around for a set of the small rear jump seats for my 1977 FJ40. There are plenty out there but they ain't cheap. I'm a 40 owner so I'm used to dropping large sums of cash on a regular basis :) still, looking at the relatively simple design of the rear jump seats I have to believe one of the talented fabricators on here has built their own at some point. Has anybody done this? If so would you be willing to share some info on how you went about it? I'm a decent welder and am always game for trying new fabricating projects.

Alternatively, has anyone found a jump seat that is generic or universal that would fit an FJ40? I have a 1977 with a roll bar so I would need the smaller version. Thanks, Guys!
Interested to see where this goes. They are pretty basic and way overpriced if you arent willing to wait for them to come around. I have one good one and one rusted likely beyond repair that is on my list to semi-fabricate.

I would love to see a few more photos please

Pages 14 and 15. Starts about half way down on 14.

SuperBuickGuy built a rear cross seat down in the Hardcore section.

Pics or it didn’t happen. :p

Seats are in another location but will take pictures next time I'm there. They are stored on a shelf with the leather bucket seats from a 3rd gen 4Runner. Tell what pictures and I can take them.

Seats are in another location but will take pictures next time I'm there. They are stored on a shelf with the leather bucket seats from a 3rd gen 4Runner. Tell what pictures and I can take them.
Well, since you offered it up as a potential option for placement in the back of an Fj40, it would be nice to see it , even just resting...in the back of an FJ40. ;)

Well, since you offered it up as a potential option for placement in the back of an Fj40, it would be nice to see it , even just resting...in the back of an FJ40. ;)

Okay here you go. Only just sitting in the back but it is in an FJ40. It was sitting on the top of the of the shelving unit holding the front seats and 3rd gen 4Runner seats. Front driver's seat is a suspension seat.
IMG_20210111_153227542.jpg
IMG_20210111_152127968.jpg
IMG_20210111_152422631.jpg
IMG_20210111_152558775.jpg
IMG_20210111_152615419.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom