Rear interior quarter panel off…what to put behind here??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So took the rear passenger side quarter panel off.

I am running some wires from the rear to have a rear camera and a trailer rear camera.

Tried running it in the headliner seam but above the rear window the trim piece has tabs and the wires don’t tuck nice.

So I’m gonna run them in the quarter panel area.

I plan to run a 4awg wire along the floorboards to the rear in case I do add a fuse panel to the rear to power any rear power and rear lights. (Once I get to that stage).

Maybe a USB port in the cup holder area that would go to the same future fuse box.

Anything else you can think of while I have it off?

Tips:

Go slow with all the trim. I got it all off without breaking anything.

Take off passenger 2nd row floor board
All 14mm seat belt bolts
Remove rear seat. Go slow on the rear most seat bolt trim piece. That is a bitch. But doable.
Lift up just one end of the rear cargo trim piece.
I removed the hidden bolt behind the cargo net tie. Don’t think you have to though.
Same with the seat release handle. There is a hidden bolt behind the handle. This is a separate piece from the quarter panel but there are 4 clips to this piece that won’t snap out unless you physically can push the tab down. So just take it all out together.
And one hidden push to release pin under that rear cargo trim piece.
That subwoofer takes up a lot of space. The RoW stuffs dual compressors. LINX modules and all sorts of other goodies in there.

Word of caution, when i took off my rear sub panels I believe I messed up one of my rear temp sensors which makes my auto climate control wonky in the rear. At least thats what I think is causing it, havent taken it apart to check.

Yes. There was only one connector at the rear connecting the panel and the car. And it looked like it went to the temp sensor. At the very rear and 2 pink wires I think. Did you plug that back in??

Yes. There was only one connector at the rear connecting the panel and the car. And it looked like it went to the temp sensor. At the very rear and 2 pink wires I think. Did you plug that back in??
I don’t recall haha, which usually means no.

You might be able to reach it thru the jack compartment. Will be directly to the rear from the inside. Will try to get pictures later.

Maybe drop in a subwoofer and sub amp while you have it off? Great bang for buck upgrade.

Maybe drop in a subwoofer and sub amp while you have it off? Great bang for buck upgrade.

So took the rear passenger side quarter panel off.

So, I've been thinking of running air to the passenger side rear of the cargo area via a bulkhead fitting from below where the jack is. Any thoughts here? The idea being to run a 2' airline whip with an air chuck that would roll up and be invisible until you open the jack panel.
Thanks for any ideas

I contemplated the same.

I have seen guys mount in under the tailgate so that it is hidden under that plastic flap

Some guys have run flex tube and hid it in the empty compartment next to the tool kit

You idea makes sense too.

I ended up mounting it near the hitch. (search "overthunk" for a thread on it)

Reasons were I didn't want to fumble trying to get inside to get the air line especially if your car is packed to the gills and blocking that access panel
But most importantly I didn't want to have to keep my tailgate open on cold or hot or mosquito ridden areas while using the air hose

I have one air chuck mounted under the hood near the compressor
And one near the hitch

If I end up getting a rear bumper I will probably mount it directly to that tucked in somewhere.

On that note anyone running the compressor in the quarter panel? I wonder what the noise level is like cuz I imagine it must be pretty loud in the passenger cabin....

most importantly I didn't want to have to keep my tailgate open on cold or hot or mosquito ridden areas while using the air hose
This plus using a 'four-flate' or 'mor-flate' where you can sit inside while airing up are amazing in hot, cold, rain, and insect/mosquito conditions is very nice.

One of the companies on here has the mount kit for the ARB air compressor and was looking for a LC to use for their install. It was a few months ago and they may have done that already.

I'm not sure how loud that would be, but I have see a lot of AU guys put one in there behind the panel.

Any antenna wires coming in the vehicle that is a good route also.

I'd agree that it may not be ideal to have airline access behind the jack panel. Only because I've been there with a car full of stuff and getting to that compartment (where I store my inflator), can be a PITA sometimes. Depends on how one uses their car really.

In regards to the compressor behind the panel. That would not be my first choice either for a few reasons 1) Major amp draw requires a long and heavy power line from underhood. 2) Gets hot, especially filling larger tires 3) When building out, I think most will find weight over the rear axle as a major factor. Anything installed or fitted over the front axle would be preferred from a weight distribution perspective.

I think those AU guys put the compressor there as they have a diesel.. so the SLEE engine plate doesn't work for them.

They put that small tank back there behind the panel with it.

It looks like this installed.

arb compressin cargo.jpg

I think those AU guys put the compressor there as they have a diesel.. so the SLEE engine plate doesn't work for them.

They put that small tank back there behind the panel with it.

It looks like this installed.

View attachment 2912356
That spot is crazy to me, if I'm airing up/down, im usually packed to the brim.

yeah I think alot of the OZ guys put the compressor and maybe tank in this location and the air chuck is usually integrated into the drawer system panels.

I would worry about the noise and the heat...not only damaging the compressor but the surrounding plastic and wiring

But the OZ's put their rigs thru the ringer and it seems to work for them so my concerns are likely hypothetical....

myabe airing up only every couple days, or maybe even less?
When I go out I sometimes have to air up two times in a day, and my kids are often in the rig (half the time probably). Having to unpack to get to the air chuck or hoses would be very inconvenient.

I think the thoughts here went a little side ways...

Question was what can go in that space, so this is just 1 example.

Those AU guys pipe the air to the bumpers, then a switch turns on the compressor... and they usually have cargo boxes etc is the rear. These are nicely built LC200's.

Here are some better pictures on this thread.

arb compressor with tank in side panel.png

Last edited:
The only thing I'd put in there is stuff I don't expect to need unless I'm down for a bit, so not items you expect to use on the trip. For me that is the jack, my little axle/jack footing, and some extra tie down straps. I also have the subwoofer amp back there, and will eventually add an electrical fuse box in that area.

One thought if you really want to delete the sub is to put a 2k or 3k watt inverter into that space, perhaps with a custom built LFP or LTO battery as well.

If they can fit that airtank tank in there ... might be a good place for a lithium battery?

Lithium in that spot would be a stretch. The small air tank would prob equate to a 50Ah which is small and doesn't get you much
Redarc has a great new portable 100Ah setup that looks great for the out doorsy crew
Inverter is a good idea. That is probably the only thing I'd be willing to put in while giving up the subwoofer.

Driver side looks crowded...

pic from another ih8mud thread

1643927828580.png

Not going to fit a battle born in there .. but I do have some lithium batteries that are 80ah and small, they are a green color by a company name starts with a "V" and they would fit in there easy. They are used in electric trucks.

Not sure how safe that would be though?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom