Rear Hub and Spindle HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I recently bought a 1997 80 series (my second, and had a FJ40, not not exactly new to the game) and baselined it with all new fluids, and replaced all wheel bearings and seals. I also installed a 2 inch lift. So i did a test drive (around the block for 5 min, got up to 60 on the freeway, then headed home) and all was going well until the last 2 minutes from home when the most terrible screeching started. I at first figured it was the left handbrake locking because I know I didn't do the right one right the first time. So I hobbled home the remaining mile or so. I jacked it up and tried to fiddle with the handbrake but noticed it was actually stuck on the caliper. (see pic 1). After that I realised the rotor wasn't sitting straight so I pulled it all off. Then I noticed the hub had about and inch of play in and out. At this point I'll mention I had my dad assist for the evening I did the rears and let him put everything back together on that side, so I can't vouch for how everything was put back together. My guess is that he tightened everything up but it was bound somewhere, so once it came free (going 60mph) it was actually not tight anymore. So now the problem is how much damage it did. The wheel hub lock nut was ground down on the turn bolts (by the inch of play allowing it to hit the backside of the axle shaft plate?). This lock nut needed some proper work to get off and I think the threads suffered. I will try to attach a vid but I can thread it on almost halfway up the spindle. So I ripped apart the other side and swapped lock nuts. The good one stops in the same place on the spindle as the dezzed one so I think its safe to say its the spindle. I guess the moral of the story is if you want a job done well do it yourself. Is there any way to fix threads on a spindle or is this a a job out of my league.

TLDR:
Is there any way this is salvageable?
How to fix threads on a spindle.
Is the rear spindle replaceable?

IMG_8356.JPG

IMG_8361.JPG

IMG_8362.JPG

IMG_8364.JPG

IMG_8372.JPG

I hate to say the spindle is not replaceable, because that's not true if you have a lathe (big one) and welder and a replacement spindle available, and a hydraulic press to tweak the final welded assembly into true (enough) condition.
For most of us... you're looking at a new axel. It'll be cheaper and faster in the long run.

Now, you might be able to chase the threads with a thread file and get the lock nut passed the boogered up bit.
1624307422768.png

couldn't attach more than 5 pics so here are the threads

View attachment 2710206

For some reason, I can't see a couple of the thread pics, but @Rusty Marlin is correct. The spindle is welded to the housing and is not "serviceable."

If this was mine, I would get the thread file shown above and use it to try to clean up the threads, but you NEED to confirm the correct thread count before you use it or you will successfully grind off the correct threads as well.

I would also consider buying a new Trail Gear front spindle nut, just for sacrificial purposes. Take the new nut, and, using a triangular file, "cut" a diagonal line across the threads in (3) places around the nut to create a "die". You can use this to help clean up the threads on the spindle and to check how well the threads work. Buy a NEW actual rear nut so its threads are totally uncompromised to use on that side.

You can also use the triangular file to clean the threads one at a time.

I have done this on a GM 3/4T K20 rear axle (Corporate 14 bolt) and it ran on the truck that way for over 200K more miles. I screwed the spindle because I forgot to grease the bearings upon reinstall because I was 17 and in a hurry. We actually had to torch off the bearing races from the spindle.

Worst case scenario, it can't be repaired. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Buy a used axle housing and swap all your parts.

Looks like the bearing locknut screws didn't get installed after setting the preload on the wheel bearings and it just backed off while driving.
42428-60011-thrust washer w/4 holes for locknut set screws
42427-60021-locknut
42419-60011-locknut set screw

Last edited:
Looks like the bearing locknut screw didn't get installed after setting the preload on the wheel bearings and it just backed off while driving.
42428-60011-thrust washer w/4 holes for locknut set screw
42427-60021-locknut
Ahhhhh, Yes! Noted that it is the LEFT side, as forward rotation would loosen it while driving without it being locked down.

Looks like the bearing locknut screw didn't get installed after setting the preload on the wheel bearings and it just backed off while driving.
42428-60011-thrust washer w/4 holes for locknut set screw
42427-60021-locknut
That could be quite possible. The screws were in there but possibly not lined up with holes and just pushed on the thrust washer. I know I had to fiddle with my side to get them set up right.

Also interesting point on the fact it was the left side. Maybe from now on I'll give my dad the right side ;)

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'll be ordering all new parts for that side that I can and getting a thread file to see if I can't get the threads right again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom