Rear hitch tire carrier w/ swing-out vs rear bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to decide between getting a full rear bumper replacement (Dobinsons, ARB, Victory, or Slee) and getting something like a Rigd Ultraswing or similar (Dirtcom, Wilco, etc).

Can anyone with experience having either offer some insight? I'm leaning towards the Ultraswing route cause it's easy to install, easy to uninstall, cheaper, lighter and offers the extra auxiliary hitch trick. But I'd lose my rear parking sensors, correct? And not as good for recovery/jack points? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

I’ll give it a try…
I have a RIG’d UltraSwing. It performs exactly as-advertised…no movement, no rattle. Tough as nails, and I can’t imagine a different company making one better (or even as good…).
My thought process was as follows…
-this is my camp rig (GX470). I usually tow a teardrop trailer with matching tires and rims, including a spare. Hence, I don’t need a spare on the GX unless I’m camping without the trailer. For this, something easily mounted and removed makes sense.
-my “hard core” wheeling days are behind me. This is a gentleman’s truck…2.5” lift, only 32” tires. I don’t need big armor and am not concerned with jacking points. Again, the RIG’d wins.
-if anything changes (new truck, or I decide to get out of wheeling all together, ), I can easily sell the carrier and move on.

I’d strongly consider the RIG’d…you can’t really get hurt financially by it, and it very well may prove to be exactly what you want.

I’ll give it a try…
I have a RIG’d UltraSwing. It performs exactly as-advertised…no movement, no rattle. Tough as nails, and I can’t imagine a different company making one better (or even as good…).
My thought process was as follows…
-this is my camp rig (GX470). I usually tow a teardrop trailer with matching tires and rims, including a spare. Hence, I don’t need a spare on the GX unless I’m camping without the trailer. For this, something easily mounted and removed makes sense.
-my “hard core” wheeling days are behind me. This is a gentleman’s truck…2.5” lift, only 32” tires. I don’t need big armor and am not concerned with jacking points. Again, the RIG’d wins.
-if anything changes (new truck, or I decide to get out of wheeling all together, ), I can easily sell the carrier and move on.

I’d strongly consider the RIG’d…you can’t really get hurt financially by it, and it very well may prove to be exactly what you want.

That's exactly what I'm thinking on all points. I don't see myself doing any hardcore wheeling....just wanna be able to traverse forest service/DNR roads to get to some nice campsites around the PNW here, maybe a little around Utah. And yeah, the ability to easily shed weight, reclaim MPG, and convert back to city pavement princess mode is nice. I think that may be just the ticket. I really appreciate the insight!

Last edited:
McDuff pretty much nailed it.

On the flip side my truck sits on 37’s and gets wheeled hard on occasion. I have zero regrets building a 4x4 Labs bumper. Handles the weight of the big spare plus fuel cans or bikes on the other swing arm. Better departure angle, bla bla bla.

On the flip side my truck sits on 37’s and gets wheeled hard on occasion. I have zero regrets building a 4x4 Labs bumper. Handles the weight of the big spare plus fuel cans or bikes on the other swing arm. Better departure angle, bla bla bla.
If they made an affordable bumper or diy kit for 200 series that didn't require hacking pieces off stock bumper, I'd consider that. Bought a Rig'd Ultraswing for the time being.

Absolutely!
in a situation such as yours (big tires, hard use, lots of weight, need for armor), I’d absolutely advocate a dedicated bumper with swingouts. I bet that 4x4 bumper is sweet!
Depending on needs and anticipated use, there are great options available these days.
Happy Holidays all…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom