Rear heater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rear heater works great when the fj40 is idling but when I am driving the heater starts making a popping sound . It sounds electrical. It is not an original heater . What do you think it could be? Grounding? Thank you for your time. The heater has been refurbished.

24737A4C-D4D9-4A92-B1EF-882DDED7D010.jpeg

I had a popping sound that sounded like tiny pebbles in there. Ended up being the fan blade tips contacting the housing. My 4 y/o likes to stand on it and slightly bent it downwards into the fan..

Air in system possibly and that’s just a bunch of little bubbles? Maybe the increased engine speed is flowing enough extra coolant that the bubbles pass through more forcefully?

I will bet the blades are hitting the top or like others said there are rocks or some other debris in there. Also check the grommets holding the fan the rubber will deteriorate and allow the fan to move around inside the heater.

Last edited:
Just a guess, but the heater motor is turning slower at idle, and spins faster when it’s getting more voltage ?

Just a guess, but the heater motor is turning slower at idle, and spins faster when it’s getting more voltage ?
I’m wondering if you’re right as I drove it tonight . Sat at idle while my daughter was at jui jitsu practice, learning how to choke the old man out. 😬 Where was I , oh and I ran the rear heater for 35 minutes no problem. Drove away and it started popping. So tomorrow I think I may take the top off and look for any marks on the blades and may even drive it with the cover off.

If the motor/rotor shaft has end play, and it begins to spin faster, it will act as a propellor and pull itself, which may or may not be in the direction of the shroud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom