Rear Heater Refresh - Some Tech Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all! I am "refreshing" my rear heater as part of my 5/66-6/66 date build. I have some question that I am hoping the brain collective can answer as I've googled with no luck.

thumbnail_IMG_5832.jpg

Does anyone know what the correct wiring connection here should be? Present state was butt connectors but that's obviously not correct. The parts diagram shows what looks to be a simple interconnect with a ground wire. I think I may have a later model rear heater as my ground wire is on the motor "mount".

thumbnail_IMG_5835.jpg

I only have 3 clips. I assume there should be 4. I'll post a wanted ad.

thumbnail_IMG_5834.jpg

It was mounted on these rubber guys. Parts catalog doesn't show anything used here. I'm guessing it was squeaking. Was there something here OEM like the radiator support shims?

thumbnail_IMG_5836.jpg

Mounting hardware. This looks pretty suspect. Does anyone have a pic of what is OEM? The parts catalog for my year shows part # 91111-40818, which is a 8x1.25x18 bolt. Parts catalog also shows 4 of these bolts, and a heater with a different mounting plate than mine which is why I think mine might be a later replacement.

thumbnail_IMG_5837.jpg

Thanks all for any information you may have. Happy cruising!

Last edited:
Oh and one other thing! My rear heater is tucked up behind the driver's seat. Every pic I've looked at has the heater mounted in the center just behind the seats. There are no holes from it being mounted anywhere else. Odd or meh?

thumbnail_IMG_5702.jpg

It was in the middle and has threads for bolts. Take a look here.

That heater looks identical to mine, which was from a '74 40 series if I remember correctly. Mine is self grounding with just 1 power wire to operate it. I have heard of 2 speed fans for the rear, might be why there are 2 wires. They mount in the middle behind the center console with 2 bolts. I believe they originally were powered by the fan switch and the rear heater only came on when in the high position. I found it was more versatile to wire it to a keyed hot wire so it can be run independently when rear passengers are cold or if windows get fogged up. You do need all 4 clips so it doesn't rattle but I have never seen those rubber shims on a 40 before, P.O. addition I guess. Good luck!

The plug on mine is a 2 wire flat plug (like a flat 4 trailer plug but just 2 wires).

I will see if I have any of those clips.

I believe the 4 bolt versions were for an FJ55?

It was in the middle and has threads for bolts. Take a look here.

Thanks! Here's the pic from the parts catalog that show's it slightly to the left but close to center. This is just some diagram that is probably not to scale though. It also shows the 4 bolt mounting plate. 😟

1667252235264.png

My tub is original and there are no captive nuts. I wonder if at some point the seat belts were added using the old heater captive nuts and the heater was moved over to the far left. You can see the seat belt eye bolts in post #2. Probably to small though so not likely.

Yours is just a little better condition than mine. I'm thinking I should just trash this one...

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

That would be sweeeeeeeeet! Appreciate it.
You just need 1? It’s yours if you want it. I can clean it up for you or leave it as is. PM me.
D28FF653-8091-4985-AED3-CBA6F68D0014.jpeg
BC0C4221-FDD4-4BBE-8F5E-8CA9E29AFE31.jpeg
8528D002-72A9-4113-8342-4158C50B65AE.jpeg

I appreciate it, but mine is too far gone. I don't want to mess with it.

Thanks! Here's the pic from the parts catalog that show's it slightly to the left but close to center. This is just some diagram that is probably not to scale though. It also shows the 4 bolt mounting plate. 😟

View attachment 3155834

My tub is original and there are no captive nuts. I wonder if at some point the seat belts were added using the old heater captive nuts and the heater was moved over to the far left. You can see the seat belt eye bolts in post #2. Probably to small though so not likely.
Better image

rear heater.jpg

What is the best way to flush and check a heater core for leaks? I have one on the shelf that I got with my 1st fj40 about 20 years ago and I don’t know what kind of shape it is in internally.

I didn’t realize they were so hard to get, and that one this far gone is serviceable.

What is the best way to flush and check a heater core for leaks? I have one on the shelf that I got with my 1st fj40 about 20 years ago and I don’t know what kind of shape it is in internally.

Lightly pressurize it somehow, dunk it in a bucket of water, and look for bubbles. That's what I did anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom