Rear heater paint code (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

blossett

SILVER Star
Threads
Does anyone have the paint code for the rear heater cover for a 76 fj40?

Ok, that must be it. Thanks for the quick reply!

Well, it just so happens I have a 76 rear heater that is in decent condition. I also have freshly painted seat parts using T145. My eyeballs do see a more greenish/yellowish tint to the heater color. I also included my rusty 71 heater. And I imagine fresh cans of T145 could come out different depending who mixes it, yada, yada.

IMG_2874.JPG

IMG_2875.JPG

IMG_2876.JPG

IMG_2877.JPG

The factory stamp:)
IMG_2878.JPG

Great pics Red Rocker. I think you are right about the color variations. Thanks!

I also wonder if the old paint has yellowed any? In the first pic, I shined a bright light and the colors seemed a closer match. Perhaps @Living in the Past might remember what the gray paint looked like when these rigs were closer to new. The grey on my 71 is "dappled", as if the darker particles didn't evenly mix with the lighter paint particles. The 76 paint is a more even blend of color.

@thebigredrocker ,
Well, it just so happens I have a 76 rear heater that is in decent condition. I also have freshly painted seat parts using T145. My eyeballs do see a more greenish/yellowish tint to the heater color. I also included my rusty 71 heater. And I imagine fresh cans of T145 could come out different depending who mixes it, yada, yada.

View attachment 1414100

View attachment 1414105

View attachment 1414101

View attachment 1414102

The factory stamp:)
View attachment 1414103

Big Red,
Where did you get the cans of T145?

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone have a spare clip that clamps the top to the bottom? I'm missing one on my heater.

@73FJ40
I got it from apstowerpaint. I didn't feel like messing with my spray gun so I opted to try some rattle cans. It's crazy expensive, but hastle free. I am very impressed with how it lays down. I didn't have any issues with it runs or drips, even when I layed it down thicker than I should have.

I used the 1k. It took 10 cans to paint all my frames inside and out. I even coated the springs, which was probably unnecessary and wasted paint. I was able to get every last drop of paint from each can. In the past I've had some rattle cans start sputtering paint when down to 1/4 full.

A cool feature is the cans have a nozzle that can be twisted to adjust the spray pattern from horizontal fan to vertical fan. I sprayed all my seat frames in a hanging position. So when spraying the vertical tubing I used a vertcal spray pattern. Then I quickly grabbed a can I had set to horizontal spray for the horizontal portions of tubing. This helped reduced overspray and paint waste.

The paint is currently still drying. With each day it seems to lose its softness. In fact, today it seems to be hardening nicely. I did a 3rd coat on my long jump seats so that paint is a bit softer at the moment. I'll soon know how durable it is, I'll let you know.

I have also used the APStowerpaint 2k. In Cygnus for my 76's bezel. It dryed rock hard and looks nice. I think I posted some close-up pic's a while back. It's crazy spendy though.

Post some pics, that sounds like it worked great

@woody might "pistol whip" me if I use up any more of his server space.:hillbilly:

The seatback panel I posted above is the T145 I sprayed

I posted different pic's somewhere. Pop up the search bar and try
keyword: T145
posted by: thebigredrocker

You can also leave my name out and get a slew of other T145 discussions

Last edited:
Cool, thnx

@woody might "pistol whip" me if I use up any more of his server space.

The seatback panel I posted above is the T145 I sprayed

I posted different pic's somewhere. Pop up the search bar and try
keyword: T145
posted by: thebigredrocker

You can also leave my name out and get a slew of other T145 discussions
There is unlimited space for attachments.

@73FJ40
I got it from apstowerpaint. I didn't feel like messing with my spray gun so I opted to try some rattle cans. It's crazy expensive, but hastle free. I am very impressed with how it lays down. I didn't have any issues with it runs or drips, even when I layed it down thicker than I should have.

I used the 1k. It took 10 cans to paint all my frames inside and out. I even coated the springs, which was probably unnecessary and wasted paint. I was able to get every last drop of paint from each can. In the past I've had some rattle cans start sputtering paint when down to 1/4 full.

A cool feature is the cans have a nozzle that can be twisted to adjust the spray pattern from horizontal fan to vertical fan. I sprayed all my seat frames in a hanging position. So when spraying the vertical tubing I used a vertcal spray pattern. Then I quickly grabbed a can I had set to horizontal spray for the horizontal portions of tubing. This helped reduced overspray and paint waste.

The paint is currently still drying. With each day it seems to lose its softness. In fact, today it seems to be hardening nicely. I did a 3rd coat on my long jump seats so that paint is a bit softer at the moment. I'll soon know how durable it is, I'll let you know.

I have also used the APStowerpaint 2k. In Cygnus for my 76's bezel. It dryed rock hard and looks nice. I think I posted some close-up pic's a while back. It's crazy spendy though.

Do you plan on clear coating? Or with the 1K do you not need to? I've been getting my paint from automotivetouchup.com and have been happy with the results. However my clear coat that I've done seems to be "soft" and I know in a couple of instances when contacted for extended periods of time the item will stick to it and impact the finish.

They say on their website, no clear coat is necessary for the 1K. I decided to let my 220 garage heater run all day in hopes to aid in the curing process. The jump seats with 3 coats already seem more hardened from this morning. And upon my return from a 3 hour jaunt, the paint smell in my garage is definately more noticeable. I'll keep you posted. I will definately be evaluating this paints durability.

Here's the 2 part epoxy on my bezel. I was curious to try 2K epoxy in a rattle can. It is higher gloss and very durable. The 2 part can they use is a cool little invention.
IMG_2930.JPG

@thebigredrocker nice paint! Also what headlamps are those on your rig??? I believe the paint color for the rear heater is the Toyota Pewter available in rattle can from Cruiser Corps. I used it on my fuel neck/separator cover.............. Pretty sure it is the same color. Hope this helps.

Headlights are roundeye's. What was the cruiser corps sheen like? The cygnus paint I got from them was bone dry flat. Luckily I had a can of clear coat to cover it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom