Rear heater hose shield advise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.irontonforge.com
After searching relentlessly, I'm posting a thread for advise.

I had to remove the rear heater hose shield due to a leak. Two of the three studs broke.

My questions...

1) What is the best way to reattach the shield? I'm not opposed to welding as a last resort.

2) Since I opted to bypass the rear heater for now, is the shield necessary?

Advise will be much appreciated! Thank for your time! :popcorn:

The shield is a good idea as the cat converters get hot and that heat will radiate into the cabin. An option if you not going to reinstall the rear heater would be to get some heat reflecting material and apply it to the body above the cats. If you are going to use the rear heater sometime down the road you will want the shield to protect the hoses from the heat. As far as replacing the studs, someone else is going to have to chime in.

Depending on how much money f the stud is still there, you can get a tool called stud remover puller and if there is enough stud exposed it fits on to the stud grips it and extracts it. I have seen snap on kit for this don't know if someone else makes them. It is basically a large looking system cost that goes on wrench and has two wheels inside of it and grips the stud for removal. Or if you can double nut the stud but would prob have to grind the stud down some clean

If you're careful, you won't need to size up. The shield doesn't require a very strong support pin, if you're left with most of the threads, you'll be fine.

Unfortunately, there were very few threads remaining. I tried using a left handed bit on an angle drill... didn't have much luck. I finally fabricated two stainless steel brackets to hold the shield in place using small stainless sheet metal screws. I may try drilling the studs again when I replace the exhaust... :hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom