Rear Hatch Rattle&Clunk - Tried it all? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Group -
Reaching out to the collective wisdom here, as a mystery rattle/clunk is driving me crazy on my 06 LX. I am almost certain it is coming from the rear hatch area - it certainly seems like the sound you'd get with a door not fully closed/engaged with lock. Happens when going over small bumps/rough spots in the road.

Here's what I've done to try to fix it (to no luck)
- replaced all three lock actuators in the rear hatch - the center top-half one, and two on either side of the lift gate. I was certain this would fix the sound. Nope - although lift gate closes in a very satisfying manner now.
- replaced the hatch lifts - twice! once with after-market, and then, figuring they may have failed, installed OEM.
- tightened the lock catches receiving the actuators
- removed all interior panels in back cargo area to tighten any random items
- removed and rehabbed the motors that control the rear vent windows, at one point had a theory the issue could be with them
- replaced and tightened the spoiler, in case it was clunking against frame - also replaced some fasteners around the rear exterior plate that the license plate screws into. Was a low probability source, but was needed anyhow.

The sounds seems to be mitigated a bit after a hard slam of the rear hatch, but not entirely and I figured with a Lexus build, this can't be the root of the issue. Willing to try anything here--any thoughts welcomed. Probably about $500 into it with actuators, hatch lifts, etc.

I thought I had a rattle/clunk coming from the rear hatch for weeks. Turned out to be the jack rattling around back there. I only found it after I relocated the jack to the hatch to accommodate an aux battery.

I'll bet it's the surround or "rear exterior plat that the license plate screws into". Mine made a rattle noise until I put double sided 3m foam tape around it and re-attached it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom