Rear hatch lock spins freely, no key required... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, the other threads that I've found when searching speak to rear hatch lock cylinders being stuck in the locked or unlocked position, or the key not working. My issue is different. My lock cylinder can be turned by hand, without the key, and I can freely put it into the locked or unlocked position. But, this leaves my vehicle not very secure. If a thief were to just come up and try the button, it'd be locked, but if he tried to turn it, you can easily turn it into the unlocked position(horizontal)! Anyone experience this? I'd sure like to be able to secure my rig! Even though the window regulator on the drivers door is stripped out and with your palm, you can slide the window down enough to reach in and unlock the door. But, thats a different issue, and I plan to replace all four window regulators soon!

Thanks for any help!
Nik

HI Nik, unless you are really lucky, and the lock wafers are stuck in the keyed position (grit, corrosion, gunk etc), your lock core is just worn out and will have to be replaced. So it’s worth trying to clean and lube it to see if it frees up.
Usually it is the drivers door lock that wears out from use (I think I had to replace mine after about 15 years of daily driving, you could open it with any key or screwdriver) the rear hatch gets much less key use, and is in a dust and grit area....

HI Nik, unless you are really lucky, and the lock wafers are stuck in the keyed position (grit, corrosion, gunk etc), your lock core is just worn out and will have to be replaced. So it’s worth trying to clean and lube it to see if it frees up.
Usually it is the drivers door lock that wears out from use (I think I had to replace mine after about 15 years of daily driving, you could open it with any key or screwdriver) the rear hatch gets much less key use, and is in a dust and grit area....
Thanks for your response! I'll try cleaning and some lube first. Where is a good source for these lock cylinders, if I have to go the replacement route?

Nik

Thanks for your response! I'll try cleaning and some lube first. Where is a good source for these lock cylinders, if I have to go the replacement route?

Nik

I have New OEM rear hatch push button Locks

If that turns out to be the issue

they do go bad internally especially if the shutter door where u stick key is broke in the open position and rain water and road grime age and time take there toll as you will ...

PM me please if you need further help

thanks
Matt

FA41E28C-3473-42D1-95E2-CEF87412E045.jpeg
28B6AE07-E602-4869-BCD1-07FA3C69914C.jpeg

Last edited:
I have New OEM rear hatch push button Locks
If that turns out to be the issue

they do go bad internally especially if the shutter door where u stick key is broke in the open position and rain water and road grime age and time take there toll as you will ...

PM me please if you need further help or the like in needed parts ...

thanks
Matt

View attachment 2392831View attachment 2392832View attachment 2392833
What is the cost shipped (86004) for the new hatch cylinder and keys?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom