1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear hatch installation

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by burnt03, Mar 18, 2004.

1. burnt03

burnt03

I have a hardtop on my '78 that I'm looking to replace the ambulance doors w/ one of the earlier flip up rear hatches. Tried a search and didnt' find anything, so I'm hoping that means that it just bolts right in.

By the looks of it, I'll have to take out the angle supports at the top of the hardtop, anything else? Are all the bolt holes on the hardtop just waiting for me to install this thing?

Thanks!

2. thor300

thor300

Looks like you're doing a similar thing like I am. I've gotta drill some though. Once I figure out where the positions on everything are, I'll be fine, but I'm not taking any chances with a misplaced rod.

-Chris

3. Plowboy

Plowboy

When my soft top ripped out, I went back to the hardtop on my 78. I had a hatch from a 72. Since I have a tailgate(aftermarket) instead of doors, I put in the hatch. All the bolt hole line up fine. You need the top piece that goes with the hatch. The only problem I ran into, is the latches at the sides have nothing to hook to on the 78 sides. Bungee cords till I buy a new soft top.

4. green40

green40

The header above the doors are different with the hatch. You'll have to dig one up someplace.

5. burnt03

burnt03

Does anyone have some pics of what the latches have to hook onto on the side of the hardtop?

Thanks